Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cellcept - typical dose

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Update in Justin

I took Justin to the ER today. *I'm glad we came here, they have admitted Justin. *His hemoglobin level had dropped from 8.1 to 4.7 in 2 weeks. They have done a bunch of tests but have not yet determined the cause. *He is getting 2 units of blood tonight.*

I am concerned that this might be due to the cellcept. *

Theresa (Justin, 4/2010)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh no... No wonder his heart rate was so elevated and he was light-headed-- both very common with anemia. Why was his hemoglobin so low to begin with?

Have they done a chest CT? They should be looking for alveolar hemorrhage. Does he have a cough, even a small dry cough?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Sangye. They have been treating him for Anemia with iron for the last few weeks but prior to that, not really worried about it. So I don't know why it was so low. it has been between 7 and 8.5 since April. They have not done a chest CT - I will ask for that. No cough at all. They did an EKG and that was ok. They do hear a flow murmur which is probably due to the anemia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope they can figure it out. Both times my lungs have hemorrhaged I barely had a cough. No one would even call it a cough, just sounded like a little tickle in the throat. I'm glad he's in the hospital so they can keep him safe while they figure it all out. Take good care of yourself, Theresa.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Sangye. I'll ask about that and watch for a cough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Theresa, how is his kidney function? That can cause anemia. Hope they find out soon to what's going on with Justin!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Elephant,
    His creatinine is 1.6. I'm going to ask more questions about kidney function today.

Sangye,
    They just woke us up and took Justin for a chest Xray. Not a CT but I'm glad they are looking at his lungs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With active Wegs, the 2 most likely places for him to be losing blood are lungs or kidneys.

I'm glad they're doing a chest x-ray. If they see anything that looks like "atypical pneumonia" or "infiltrates" make sure they do a chest CT. That's what bleeding in the lungs can look like on x-ray, though many docs don't seem to know it. When my lungs were bleeding in the past my x-rays only looked a bit off. The CTs looked horrible, though. Alveolar hemorrhage on a CT looks like "ground glass opacities"-- a fancy name for solid grey.

They may find something but think it's not "enough" to be causing problems or to be Weg's-related. If that happens, question it. Last year I was discharged from the hospital with bleeding lungs because the non-Wegs docs said there would be more blood if it were Wegs. Dr Seo said any blood in a Weggie's lungs is due to Wegs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Justin's creatinine is a little elevated esp someone his age. They need to check more into the kidney too, along with the lungs. Have they done a stool sample to see if there is blood in it. With all the meds he's on it ...can cause some bleeding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Theresa,

My daughter is 15 yrs old and has been taking cellcept 1000mg AM and PM since June. So far she hasn't had any problems with it. She had 3 months of IV cytoxan in the hospital and we had a hard time getting her blood pressure/heart rate controlled but eventually they returned to normal. I am glad you have Justin at the hospital where they can take good care of him!! Sounds like he's got something going on.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast