Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Memory Problems

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    Oh, yes, true for me, too.... partly from getting older but I know the meds are involved. I have a lot of problems with short term memory, but also long term, like remembering people's names.
    I am having a horrible time with names and a few other short term memories

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My memory has taken a beating since starting treatment. Overall my cognition is not what it used to be, either. I used to be very sharp, quick-thinking and quick-witted. Now it's all sluggish. If people knew how lost I was in most conversations they'd be shocked. It's not always apparent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have always had problems with names, so over the years I have mastered the trick of using the words mate, friend, pal, dear, love etc, of course with customers I just call them sir or madam. I should be alrigtht about remembering my own anme as it is shown on my taxi badge along with a picture of me.

Jim
    You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. Kahil Gibran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was told that pred causes some of my concentration problems or short term memory difficulty. The heavier drugs like RTX, CTX can cause some chemo brain stuff and many drugs can impact our emotional and cognitive state. Many have warnings about not driving while using or warnings about being faint or light headed. Even dehydration can cause some memory or concentration difficulty and most people do not drink enough water. I haven't seen any evidence that our disease or treatment regime is likely to INCREASE our cognitive functioning so I think we are doing quite well to still be able to remember how to log into here and respond to each other in this manner despite our trouble with typos and word finding and difficulty remembering who said what or even what we typed before. Adjusting such issues too is like handling our new weight and accepting our new "norm" of who we are and how we function. Remember the Senility Prayer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    I was told that pred causes some of my concentration problems or short term memory difficulty. The heavier drugs like RTX, CTX can cause some chemo brain stuff and many drugs can impact our emotional and cognitive state. Many have warnings about not driving while using or warnings about being faint or light headed. Even dehydration can cause some memory or concentration difficulty and most people do not drink enough water. I haven't seen any evidence that our disease or treatment regime is likely to INCREASE our cognitive functioning so I think we are doing quite well to still be able to remember how to log into here and respond to each other in this manner despite our trouble with typos and word finding and difficulty remembering who said what or even what we typed before. Adjusting such issues too is like handling our new weight and accepting our new "norm" of who we are and how we function. Remember the Senility Prayer.
    Uh, what were we talking about...?

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    My memory has taken a beating since starting treatment. Overall my cognition is not what it used to be, either. I used to be very sharp, quick-thinking and quick-witted. Now it's all sluggish. If people knew how lost I was in most conversations they'd be shocked. It's not always apparent.
    This strongly resembles where I am. I am afraid that I may have to consider disability since I am paid for my brain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've thought about you so much in this regard Light, wondering how on earth you can function in your job. I assumed you must not have been having as much trouble, but I'm sorry to see that I was wrong. I know how many family members depend on you. This has to be an unbelievably difficult decision.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am gonna cut in here and say i have memory problems too.

Mostly short term things i cannot remember like what was said a few minutes ago or something that was discussed last week, how to spell a certain word, what the word is i was thinking of, what i ate for breakfast, where things are etc. It gets very frustrating.

I used to be very good at writing and creating arguments - rubbish at this now and look back at some of my school coursework and think i must be a different person. The language and the style are nothing like how i write today - especially when it takes a few minutes to think of the right word and then cant spell it.
    Ok, that turned into a rant...

This hit my fiance pretty bad a few weeks ago, we were talking about something and he got hurt that i couldnt remember something that he had said. This caused a very much tear-filled conversation where Stu said he was scared i would forget more and more things in the future. I showed him something on my phone - a wonderful app called screen muncher that i use when Stu texts me something and i wanna remember it. He looked at me and cried harder and then scrolled through all 200+ messages that were on there.

I may forget the little things but i'll never forget the important things.

Hoping one day my brain function of old will return.
    "I believe that I have seen a negative attitude kill people, but I don't think that a positive one will cure you. However, I know that it Helps". Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aww, Stu has a big heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sam, I find Roget's Thesaurus to be a great help if I can not find the actual word I want. Mind you it is a bit big and heavy to carry around with you.

With some of the recent comments about family and loved ones not being at all sympathetic or caring, Stu sounds like a breathe of fresh air.

Jim
    You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. Kahil Gibran

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast