User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many have required intubation as part of treatment for WG?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have never had to be intubated (well not quite, they did have to after my thyroidectomy) or have had any lingering problems with my trachea but I have had several episodes over the pre diagnosis years where I had this awful chocking dry cough that went on for several agonizing minutes. I just couldn't get enough air in to breath. On reflection it was probably wegs, I just never made a big deal of it or complained abot it. I am sure that even if I did it would be put down for as just your average "oh its nothing she just chocked on her own saliva", but it was an awful feeling of not being able to breathe and definitely was not self inflicted. It would eventually pass. I am sure though that if it persisted for longer I would be rushed to an Emergency and I would be intubated if the cough didn't stop. I still remember the awful chocking feeling.
    Jolanta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was intubated for a week while in the ICU. Both of my lungs had collapsed after the lung biopsy to Dx the Wegners. My lungs where both filled with blood,had to have two chest tubes inserted one for each lung. I don't believe that it was part of the treatment it was required after the lung biopsy because my lungs where in that bad of shape that collapsing the one lung for the biopsy it was to much pressure for the other lung and it also collapsed. They kept telling me to take deep breaths and I couldn't. It was awful feeling not being able to breathe!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My mom was put in ICU, and was sedated and intubated for 5 days. They did this because her lung involvement (didn't know it was WG at this time), and she was wearing her body out breathing so heavily. Her body had to be calm in order to due the lung and kidney biopsy's. She doesn't remember any part of being in ICU.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy R View Post
    My mom was put in ICU, and was sedated and intubated for 5 days. They did this because her lung involvement (didn't know it was WG at this time), and she was wearing her body out breathing so heavily. Her body had to be calm in order to due the lung and kidney biopsy's. She doesn't remember any part of being in ICU.
    It is good we don't remember being intubated except for start and ending since it is not a pleasant experience even though necessary to keep us going.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12