Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Excercise Question

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marta View Post
    Incidentally I ALWAYS sound like a steam train when I do 'cardio stuff' even when I considered myself pretty strong (which is why I stuff music in my ears, that way I don't have to listen to myself huff and puff) so I don't think that's something to be concerned about.
    We can train together on opposite sides of the globe. I'll ride my bike, you ride your running shoes.
    Stay strong! Live strong!
    Thanks Marta/Sangye

Maybebreathing is meant to be loud to assist with the reduced hearing I've got......just letting me know I’m still alive ….a benefit of having WG????

A new thread?: are there any benefits to WG?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's always nice to get those hints from nature that we're still alive. I've always liked hints.

I also like the idea of the new thread. I can think of a few already.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psyborg View Post
    I've been having serious issues with weight loss even though I'm using the Pred. I think a lot of the weight loss in the last couple months has been due to muscle mass burning off a bit. My question is can I lift weights safely or am I just asking for trouble there until this is under control? I feel ok after riding a bike or walkinig, but I do feel a bit more run down after going to the gym. Just wondering, don't want to cause myself more problems than I'm already experiencing with fatigue and pain.
    hi listen carefully to what im about to tell you im a former bodybuilder with 32yrs experience there are 2 types of steroids in the world anabolic and catabolic anabolic steroids build muscle mass catabolic steroids (prednisone) tears down muscle tissue so in effect by going to the gym your trying to build muscle and at the same time your preds are tearing it down youll get no where fast and into the bargain all tendons and ligiments take a hammering on preds so advice from someone who knows dont lift iron take any cardio you like and stick to that build lung and heart power leave the weights to when your off preds and i promise youll build graeat muscle tissue ill even send you a routine to follow hows that take care fellow weggie Ian Anderson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Ian that was great information. I am on 8 mg of prednisone can I lift 10 pound weights?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by elephant View Post
    Thanks Ian that was great information. I am on 8 mg of prednisone can I lift 10 pound weights?
    sure you can but if your serious about gaining muscle mass then 10lb weights wont do it you might as well pick your pet cat up and swing it around your head (my apoligies to all animal lovers) weight training is called progressive resistance training and 10lbs is no resistance to the human frame think about it on average your head weighs around 14 to 22 lbs do you feel the strain? no of course you dont why? because your body gets used to the resistance of any weight so 10lbs then must become 12lbs 15lbs 20lbs etc so in essence you have to increase the weights repeatedly as your body demands more weight ie resistace to GROW got it so are you in a condition to repeatedly increase your workload or can you only use the 10lbs trust me dont swing iron unless you can up the workload sooner rather than later forget it just now wait till you are pred free then go start iron and like i said you will grow good muscle tissue and ill help you with diet and routine and you will go from mister blobby to mr universe amongst us weggies good luck take care Ian

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Ian, I will wait and I really need that good advice. Hoping to get off prednisone in a year!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sticking with light aerobic for now, well light compared to before I started getting sick. Riding my bike and walking pretty much as tolerated. Going to maybe try out a Yoga class at my gym tonight and see how it goes.

At what point would you consider the prednisone intake low enough to start with the lifting again? I know I'm way too high right now (35 mg), and not sure how the Dr will step it down once my actual treatment starts. I've actually got a decent routine that was given to me by a trainer after I had gastric bypass surgery last year. That's my biggest fear right now, the Pred has me eating more than I was able to before and my excercise routine is what I want it to be. At this point I'm still actually losing weight, and I'd like that to stop honestly, but I do worry that it's doing damage to my system long term.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Ian, learned something new today
    Jolanta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psyborg View Post
    I'm sticking with light aerobic for now, well light compared to before I started getting sick. Riding my bike and walking pretty much as tolerated. Going to maybe try out a Yoga class at my gym tonight and see how it goes.

At what point would you consider the prednisone intake low enough to start with the lifting again? I know I'm way too high right now (35 mg), and not sure how the Dr will step it down once my actual treatment starts. I've actually got a decent routine that was given to me by a trainer after I had gastric bypass surgery last year. That's my biggest fear right now, the Pred has me eating more than I was able to before and my excercise routine is what I want it to be. At this point I'm still actually losing weight, and I'd like that to stop honestly, but I do worry that it's doing damage to my system long term.
    how low does your preds have to be before you can lift weights ? well lets see fact is you have to be OFF preds and i mean off them completely remember your still under the influence of these meds after taking them so give it 6 months to let body return to normal function and your own cortisol production to kick in again then you can start using iron take care dont rush it Ian

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotcha and thanks. Will have to consider the gym a place for aerobic only for a while.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast