User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How many here are able to attend a face to face support group on a regular basis?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How many here are able to attend a face to face support group on a regular basis?

Just wondering how many people actually have access to such a group?

What is the experience like?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably in more highly densely populated areas there would be support groups. I have met 2 other Weggies myself. I could pobably meet more if I had more money to travel and felt better and had more time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a Vasculitis support group run by my hospital, but I've never attended because I've never felt the need. Am I antisocial? I'm not sure that I want to chat about illness for an hour, I'd prefer to talk about cars.

I like the forum because I can pick and choose what subjects I feel I can contribute to and if I'm having a grumpy moment I needn't reply to anyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Never met a nother Weggie in person. Spoke to a couple on the phone. As far as I know (and admittedly I've never checked) there's no support group in my area.
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First time I will meet other Weggies will be in Long Beach, and I live right outside of NYC. A support group used to meet in my ENT's office, but I think that the woman organizing it went into remission, had kids and could no longer do it. However, I much prefer to talk to people on line and suspect that it would always be that way, no matter what kind of issue I was dealing with. I prefer this mode of communication.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I seem to remember reading a Sci-Fi novel where all communication was via video link. The main character caused quite a stir when he went visiting people in person.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is wonderful to have real people to talk to and share with. The internet is good, but really seeing people and sharing snacks and stories is so muc better. The difficulty it getting the message out to others. I took advantage of whatever free advertising there was and actually paid for a little. I live in a town of 80,000 and have gotten some work to a neighbouring town so some people come from there as well. I shared the work with a fellow weger person. I don't think either of us could have don't it alone. When I don't feel good she seems to be Ok and vise versa. Perhaps you have a healthy person to help. Her husband also helps some.