Likes Likes:  3
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Beat Some of Pred's Side Effects

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sangye, I plan on doing this 100%, but have not felt like doing it. I know that this is important for our health and to live a better life.
    That is great you lost 7 pounds! Eating natural is the way to go!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by elephant View Post
    Sangye, I plan on doing this 100%, but have not felt like doing it. !
    LOL-- That's a classic sign of imbalance in Ayurveda. Someone with too much Fire craves more Fire--foods, activities, etc.... To change that, you just have to sit down and do it. Then the imbalance starts to weaken a little and it's easier to lean towards balance. You have to stay on top of it though, or the imbalance will sneak in again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mondays are always a good day to start diets. Starting tomorrow I will write down everything that I eat ( whole foods).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't you mean "Tomorrow" is always a good time to start a diet?
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe these are the good advices but not for me. I don't eat any salty snacks anyway but my mom does add some salt in food. She minimized and I've realised how much it helped my moon face to go down. But if I went on a diet and stop eating any of the cookies or chocolate or anything sweet I would seriously become anorexic lol xD
    I didn't gain any weight so my main concern is that I will lose some.
    It's interesting how you didn't get the moon face on such a high dose I wish it would work for me if I ever get to go on such dose again. Hopefully I won't.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, let's talk about how lifestyle affects Fire (Pitta). Remember, pred is stoking a big Fire all the time. There are easy things you can do to pacify an ongoing Fire imbalance. They might sound silly, but they make a big difference.

What you do on a particular day or on a daily basis really does count. If you store up a lot of Fire today, you'll suffer for days and days, maybe weeks. You'll have to work harder to put out that Fire, and depending on how much you aggravated it, you might not be able to without resorting to drastic measures.

Pitta governs summer. That means everyone is more likely to have excess Fire in the summer-- sunburns, prickly heat, rashes, heat stroke, etc... All classic Fire. People are generally more active in the summer because their Fire is increased.

Here are some lifestyle changes to pacify the Fire element:

1) Avoid the heat
    Especially in summer. Sitting in the sun, working in a hot kitchen, etc.... Whatever time you spend in heat is stoking the Fire element.

2) Don't exercise midday during hot weather
    The Fire element is most active from 10am to 2pm (and 10p to 2a). Ever see someone running at noon on a hot day? Bright red, puffy, looking like they're gonna drop dead of a stroke. They could, since they're stoking a Fire in their circulatory system.

3) No hot showers in the summer
    Take lukewarm showers, even on the cool side. At first you'll miss the heat but you'll see how soothing the cool is. You won't turn bright red afterwards and if you're having pain it might go down considerably. The rest of the year, base your shower temp on how well you're controlling Pitta. If you're on high dose Pred, you should not be taking hot showers--way too much Fire.

4) Don't eat after 8:30 pm
    Pitta starts increasing by 10 pm. If you start nibbling at night, you won't be able to stop. You're more likely to crave Fire-increasing foods too, especially salty.

5) Go to bed by 11:00
    If you stay up later, you'll have more insomnia and food cravings all night.

6) If you increase Fire, antidote it as quickly as you can
    For example, if you have to wash a lot of dishes in hot water, rinse your hands and face in cold water, drink a glass of cool (not cold) water and make sure you focus on Fire-pacifying foods at your next meal.

7) Don't eat your food when it's piping hot
    Let it cool the slightest bit. You'll be able to get through your meal without the major pred sweats.

Experiment with these things and you'll prove it to yourself. Take a hot shower and you'll find yourself having major sweats, swelling and a voracious appetite within an hour. The one good thing about working with Fire is that you can make changes quickly--for better or worse.
    Last edited by Sangye; 07-26-2010 at 12:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by katarzena View Post
    It's interesting how you didn't get the moon face on such a high dose I wish it would work for me if I ever get to go on such dose again. Hopefully I won't.
    I did get the moon face when I was on high dose pred in 2006. I didn't get it this time because I followed these guidelines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Sangye for taking the time to write all this down. Much appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Sangye for the info on Ayurveda. I am from the home land of Ayurveda India, Now a days their is much talk about Ayurveda in this forum. In my sons case I met a Ayurvedic professor, he told ask your alopathy doctor ie, Rhematologist to tapper the pred as quick as possible and he will plan to put him on

1 .Best immune modulators available in Ayurveda (made of herbs)
    2. Strict Diet (as per the priniciples of Ayurveda)
    3. Life Style changes (he need to be reduce/avoid maximum contact with electro magnifying forces ie, like watching TV, food cooked in electric oven etc.) must do yoga,meditation and pranayama

Since I thought I should consider these things only once I am out of danger phase .

Now I consider you as Ayurvedic Pandit (Ayurvedic expert). what is your opinion on cosidering ayurvedic immune modulators along with present dose of 5mg pred and 100mg imuran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nagesh - I will let Sangye answer this one herself, but I must stress how important it is that you follow her advice (I believe I know what it will be).
    Jack

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast