Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Work- Related question..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

During the last years of my employment I had increasing amounts of time off sick which resulted in me being given less and less work. I slowly changed from being a "key player" to someone who turned up and browsed the internet for most of the day. None of my own doing and I did not enjoy it, but it did prepare me for making an early retirement - work was something I no longer missed.

Doug Guest

I used these two questions to answer the question of "Is it time to retire?" ~ "Am I contributing to the profitability of my company?" and "Is what I'm doing fun to do?"

I was paid well, which suggested they thought I was meeting the requirements of the first question or just didn't know how to deal with me when I had a super work record, but a stinking chronic disease. Basically, I did what was expected of me, but found it more and more difficult to give that extra amount I was known to give in past.

As for fun, like Jack, I felt less and less involved in the activities I knew were important to the future of the company. Their choice.

I had lots of time for browsing the internet, too, Jack, and I spent it trying to learn more about WG. Oh yes, and other things even less acceptable like where to buy rhubarb starts and joke websites! Clearly it was time, and I left.

What amazed me most was the question of money and health care didn't figure into the decision as much as I thought they would. I'm not living in a palace, but I am comfortable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you guys. I also talked to my Rheuma and she suggested as long as I don't have to talk on the phone alot-can't breathe, do alot of physical activity, and take care of myself like disinfecting my hands a lot- I should be ok but its mine and hub decision if I should not work. She stated that I am at minimal with condition because of my treatments but she did mention that after I am done with treatments the next step is getting a scan of my liver and losing weight big time. I have alot of decisions in front of me. I feel as if I am in a victorian maze trying to find the right path.
    Weggies UNITE!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carly. Just to throw something else into the melting pot!

Your WG will control how much work you can achieve but we must look after both body and mind.

To go to work helps me cope with the WG in so much it is an environment where I can put the illness to the back of mind and concentrate on other things for a few hours. It also helps financially of course and, in my case, work are very supportive with time off for appointments etc. They still expect their lb of flesh each day but luckily, I can still give that….. so far. By agreeing what you can and can’t do (and why?) can only be a good thing.

http://www.timetravel-britain.com/articles/gardens/mazes.shtml

To help you find your way out

Doug Guest

Hammy8241's experience with this is the same, pretty much, as mine.

The hardest thing for you will be to recognize when your body says "no", that you are overdoing it. If your are on Prednisone- I can't remember if you are- this is a further complication because you will have to deal with the false energy that drug makes you think you have.

The next hardest thing will be finding the kind of understanding in the work place that Hammy8241 and I were very- and I think exceptionally- lucky to have. The hard part for most employers is accepting you full-time if you are unable to meet their expectations. Most bosses will remind you they are a profit making outfit, not a charitable one if you fall too far behind, and come up with some part time scheme that sounds realistic but may cost you benefits. I hate to be one of those "hire a lawyer if..." people, but you still need to be aware of the law in our country just to make sure your employer is straight with you.

Document everything said to you when you come back. If you have an understanding boss, he or she might even be willing to discuss their expectations and their exceptions (allowing you time off to see doctors, etc.) made on your behalf, and put it in writing. Even the kindest, most amiable boss may back out of an agreed upon expectation if it is unwritten, just as you might forget yourself a condition put on your time off for doctor appointments (often a big sticking point for employers). This would help you match the expectations, and give you a way to cover yourself if anything discussed and agreed upon becomes an issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey all...will tag on to this thread, as I think it is a related question. Does stress increase the WG problems? I have a job that is not physically difficult at all (I'm in IT), but is very high stress right now. I ended up in the hospital in May and even with the Prednisone I feel like the pain and fatigue symptoms are coming back again as the stress has ramped up further. Doesn't help that the prednisone is making it really hard to sleep at night either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, Psyborg, stress is a major factor for all illnesses but especially in Wegs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's gonna be rough for me...I've actually been a person that tended to strive on stress. Thank you for the info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just listen to your body Psyborg. Learn to take more breaks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psyborg View Post
    That's gonna be rough for me...I've actually been a person that tended to strive on stress.
    That has to change. It's not even negotiable with Wegs.

I've watched some members on here resist the change and suffer for it. Either the initial treatment drags on or they keep flaring, etc.... Then you get in a vicious cycle where the Wegs increases, so it interferes with your life, which increases stress, which increases Wegs.....

I've had relentless high stress since I was dx'ed and it's caused me nothing but trouble. Much of the stress I'm under is unavoidable--fallout from the Wegs. I've had to learn not to add to it and how to better manage what I can't avoid. No one likes to hear "You have to change." But Wegs is here to stay and is going to run the show if you don't.
    Last edited by Sangye; 07-25-2010 at 12:18 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast