Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Work- Related question..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Work- Related question..

My co-worker has put in her notice so work is looking at me to take over as much as I can but I know that I can't. They are aware of my condition but I need to write a letter for my doctor to sign so they know what I can do and not do without having me relapse or by pushing me too far. Just like I shouldn't be breaking down tables and chairs for classes but I do because there isn't anyone else. My hubbie and I are doing this just as a precaution. So any advice would be greatly appericated!
    Weggies UNITE!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your doctor will have a questionaire that asks how much you can lift, how long you can stand, etc... without pain or other symptoms. Standard form. You fill that out, and the doc makes recommendations based on that.

If it were me, I wouldn't continue doing anything that was harming myself just because there's no one else. They naturally won't believe you, and there's also no incentive for them to replace your co-worker if you're picking up the slack. All things aside, you have to take care of yourself or you can easily wind up completely unable to work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carly
    i went back to work last year after a major flare , my choice not works
    took on all my own duties , i work in my local school BUT i now know i was the wrong deciesion by me not gp or wg consult
    as i have now been off work since jan 10 with one thing after another , im not saying working was to blame but i dont think i did myself any favours
    and both gp and wg consult saying i cant work now !!!
    i know what Sangye is saying is right from my present situation and i know that we are all different and im desperate to go back to work but if the last few months has taught me any thing the only way forward has been to look after myself and listen to what others are saying
    its hard but hopefully worth it DEEx

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need to take care of yourself and then baby steps after that...I know it is hard because you feel like you have to work, but you know that pushing yourself will do you in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow- thanks guys. That helps. My rheuma just has the basic form for everytime I see her so I know that won't do but you guys gave the some idea of what to say and I will also have to discuss the whole work issue with my hubby. Another reason why I would like to consult with Dr. Seo.
    Weggies UNITE!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I made this mistake in the early days - I took on a job in the production area as a trouble buster which was a very high pressure job working in poor conditions. After a couple of months, I had a major flare and spent nearly 6 months off sick.

You must look after yourself. Others probably won't.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although a relative newbie to WG (Feb10) I have already learnt that every next day, is a negative mirror of your previous days activities. If I have a really good day today then I feel the consequences the next(unless I accept my limitations and balance the efforts/rest used in the day.).

Therefore my 'tuppenceworth' (old English for opinion) in this debate would to advice caution. To take up extra responsibilities may reduce your ability to manage your current workload and leave you open to problems from your bosses.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy8241 View Post
    Although a relative newbie to WG (Feb10) I have already learnt that every next day, is a negative mirror of your previous days activities. If I have a really good day today then I feel the consequences the next(unless I accept my limitations and balance the efforts/rest used in the day.).

Therefore my 'tuppenceworth' (old English for opinion) in this debate would to advice caution. To take up extra responsibilities may reduce your ability to manage your current workload and leave you open to problems from your bosses.

Well put, Hammy. The next day pay is so hard to learn!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy8241 View Post

Cool Hammy, you perfectly described the huge need for balance with Wegs. I had a great day on Wednesday, worked too long and my "negative mirror" hung around for 2 days. I'm having a better day today, but I'm taking it easy. Thanks for the great metaphor. I'll keep that visual and use it to help me balance.

Doug Guest

Though my employers were very good about adjusting to my needs at first, ultimately I think they were happy I took their hint (after two years in a row) about "we don't want to lose you, but would you consider early retirement?" No less than family and friends, employers have difficulty seeing you a "sick for life" because there are days you can do pretty much an amount of work you did in past. They don't make the connections, often, that the next day you are gone or "having a bad day" too often follows that day you over did it. Look up the Americans with Disabilities law on the internet, and immerse yourself in your employer's responsibilities to you as a person with chronic illness.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast