User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arguments for or against a Religeous Faith Section?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Arguments for or against a Religeous Faith Section?

Many members of the Forum have strong religious beliefs, perhaps made stronger or weaker by their experience of illness and I know that they would often like to express themselves in these terms. However, as it stands, the forum rules prevent religion being discussed in detail to prevent the usual flame wars and bad feeling between what are often strongly held opinions.

The idea of this thread is that members can voice their opinions about a special Religion Section and what rules would have to be applied to it. It is completely unofficial and any final decision would be Andrew's province.

Please don't use the thread as an excuse to evangelise, but I would think that a simple statement of your own position would be OK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don' t care at all, one way or another; I agree it could become a flame war, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they start that, I'm outta here. Sorry Jack I do respect you a great deal but I can just imagine what would happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps I should have added my own views.

I think it would lead to bad feeling because I don't think it would stop at a simple statement of personal position on the subject. This is the reason why the rule was introduced in the first place. The moratorium in the "Your Thoughts on Dying" thread has worked well until now because in general members have, as requested, not responded to the religious views expressed. I think this would be far from the case in a dedicated section.

I see nothing wrong with things as they are currently.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prefer religion was kept off site as now. No problems with with people 'praying' for others etc as its the thought that is important, not necessarily the wording. The forum is about WG and I can't see how, other than a crutch, it helps WG any more than a choc chip muffin.

I won't even mention who won the Ashes in case I upset someone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew
    So, for the sake of the future harmony of this wonderful group of people, the following topics are hereinafter banned from discussion:

• Politics (all forms of)
    • Religion (all forms of)
    • Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie
    I see nothing about sport.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Outside of this group I love hearing about others' religious beliefs and how they bring them comfort. But I agree it would be asking for trouble to begin a section for it here. People don't always understand why their comments might be hurtful to another. In my life, I've seen examples of this from practitioners of all faiths, even my own. It can happen in total innocence.

I love that our group doesn't engage in hurting each other. I was part of another group that allowed quite harsh statements to be made--on any topic, on a regular basis. It was a constant source of pain to me, whether the comments were directed at me or to another member. The moderators didn't see anything wrong with it and even joined in or defended the statements at times. I have deep respect for how Andrew moderates this group and how everyone cooperates in creating a truly supportive environment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If a religious section was added I wouldn't visit that part of the site and I think we'd end up splitting the site in two, those who wanted to use the religious section would find themselves only posting there and not using the rest of the forum. This means it would only be half as fun!

I think there are other sites out there for those that want to discuss religion and long term illnesses, you don't need a WG specific site for those threads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its too bad but I have to agree that an open ended section on religious faith would degenerate into a battle field. Maybe it would be possible to have a thread where people share things from their faith, beliefs, philosophy, or viewpoint that has been helpful to them or to others. Allowing comment or discussion could be limited to positive comments or questions. If someones view were posted there that was disagreeable or offensive it would simply be ignored as no positive comment could be made.
    I would love to hear what is helping keep others going through the extremes that WG puts us through. I have my own faith and beliefs but I am very open to hearing what others think and believe - and most especially what they have experienced. Thats how I learn things.
    I know this is a field plagued with land mines but the flowers out there are so pretty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luce View Post
    If a religious section was added I wouldn't visit that part of the site and I think we'd end up splitting the site in two, those who wanted to use the religious section would find themselves only posting there and not using the rest of the forum. This means it would only be half as fun!

I think there are other sites out there for those that want to discuss religion and long term illnesses, you don't need a WG specific site for those threads.

Luce, I agree, well said

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast