Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does hearing ever recover?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Does hearing ever recover?

I lost all hearing in right ear from WG when first admitted to hospital for treatment. I only had about 15% of my hearing in left year before due to many infections and operations. I can hear a little bit in left ear with strong hearing aid but hearing is starting fade in that ear too. I can get a cochlear implant in left side once WG is under control and I get off Cytoxan meds but that is many months away.

Has anyone ever recovered hearing lost because of WG?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I lost complete hearing in my left ear and about 50% in my right ear. My left ear didn't go completely dead for about year and a bit after onset. My hearing has stayed the same for about 6 years now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My hearing loss is due to eustation tube blockage and has remained constant for many years. I can improve it with large doses of Pred, but that is not really an option.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I has also lost hearing in my left ear and just last couple of weeks started to wear an hearing aid which they are now going to keep a regular test of
    went to hear a live band the second night after i got it that was interresting DEEx

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've read somewhere on the forums that a person lost hearing in one ear and it recovdered when he/she started the treatment!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If caught in time (hardly no damage) yes with medication it can recover. It also depends how WG attacks the ear ( parts of the inner/ mastoid). I was almost completely deaf in my left ear and half on the right. Once I started high dose of prednisone and cellcept it improved. I have hearing in both but in the low range of normal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly as elephant said. I lost 75 in left and 30 in right. I am bck to almost normal in right, but left is still gone. No improvement for over a year on meds.
    Jolanta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same story, I lost 90% in right ear and 40% in left, after one year from being diagnosed and 4 months in remission I dint recover any hearing beck. Even I was diagnosed pretty quick from the moment of the first symptom and that was ear pain it was two months. For last 7 months I have hearing aids and I love it.
    Stay positive maybe you will have better luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am back at U Medical Center for more aggressive tretment and they started me out with 125 mg of Solumedro every 6 hours and may add plasmapherisis tomorrow and continue this for three days and then re-evaluate. I got pretty goofy at 1000 mg a day s upon my first admission but it did eventually stop the bleeding in my lungs. I am hoping the more aggressive treatment can preserve the little hearing I have left (about 10% in one ear) as this allows me to still communicate in person if person speaks clearly and closely to my ear that still has some hearing and when my hearing is cranked up to max and working well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck with the treatment drz, I hope it works
    Jolanta

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast