Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coughing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Coughing

Just wondering if those of you that have that dreaded cough with wegener's, do you have anything that comes up with the cough?
    If you are in remissison, did the coughing stop?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a dreadful cough that produces lots of sputum, but this is due to me having Bronchiectasis. The docs say that this is not related to Wegener's, but I suspect that it is just another undocumented symptom. It is usually caused by all the infections etc the Wegener's is so good at mimicing and several other members on this site also have it.
    The spewtum is a fairly nasty yellow/green/brown colour, but it has been cultured a couple of times and there is nothing in it that requires antibiotics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jack, I used to cough and cough and cough. Sometimes there would be phlegm to cough up and sometimes not. I think the rituxan and steroids helped with that.
    It seems I am coughing a bit more now that I am weening off of the steroids however it is mainly at night after I lay down and in the morning when I wake up. I sometimes get a white color of phlegm coughed up and sometimes clear and sometimes green, (seems to change from day to day or week to week). I'm not sure what it is due to. I still have good energy and everything else seems to be fine, just a little more of a cough.
    I have had sinus surgery in the past so maybe could be sinus drainage?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brooke, you have to tell you doctor about that to be on the safe side.

Last week I was coughing a lot due to several days of air pollution alerts. Just a dry hacking cough, but I couldn't take a deep breath without coughing. Dr Seo said it was due in part to the air pollution, but also happens when you taper pred. He said it might be permanent if I go on lower doses (ie, below 2.25mg) or totally off pred. I don't know if that's because of my history of lung involvement or what-- it was late in the appt and my mind was done taking in more info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I first had the cough I suggested to the consultant that it might be sinus drainage and he replied that my sinus problems used to be much worse in the past, but I did not have the problem then. I had to agree with him.
    Diagnosis of bronchiectasis was confirmed by bronchoscopy and lung biopsy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brooke, ask them for a sputum culture cup that you can turn in when you produce something greenish. You might have an opportunistic infection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brooke, when I was diagnosed with Wegener's back in August of 2009, my worst symptom was a terrible cough that haunted me for the entire day, every single day. The strange thing, however, was that it quit when I laid down so I could sleep at night. After my diagnosis and being on prednisone, it improved greatly within about 4 days and was gone within a week. When I tapered down and finally went off of prednisone, I noticed the cough a bit as it seems like my throat dries more easily. I also notice that I am much more sensitive to pollutants than I was before but all in all, the cough has not returned. I hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Roberts View Post
    I also notice that I am much more sensitive to pollutants than I was before but all in all, the cough has not returned. I hope this helps.
    Aha! That's what Dr Seo said-- that being off pred will make me more sensitive to pollutants. It sure did.

Thanks for triggering my memory, Tim. If I lose anything, I'll be sure to ask for your help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an appt with my pulmonologist coming up and I will let him know.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brook
    I'm in remission for last 3 months my cough dint stopped completely I still coughing clear sputum couple times a day if that. I do have a day or so without coughing.
    I was coughing almost 24 hour a day for six months to the point that my ribs are cracking; only syrup TUSSIONEX provide little relieve but cough start improving slowly when I started oral cytoxon and decreasing prednisone.
    Be strong, will get better.

Barb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast