Likes Likes:  7
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tracheal stenosis and remission

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jan that is wonderful news! How is your foot/ankle doing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, you know Sangye, the old saw is that if you have two rheumys in the room you have three opinions -- I wonder what the saw is if you have a rheumy and an ENT?!

Clearly Lebovics trained with the 'giants' as he would call them himself -- Langford, Hoffman, Specks, and, as I have said previously, there's more of an more emphasis on the idea that immunosuppressants don't maintain remission and that once you get into remission it's essentially the luck of the draw whether your maintain it. I don't necessarily think that my rheumy buys that, and, in fact, just because something hasn't been proven, doesn't mean it isn't true. In a lot of ways, it's easier for the ENT to believe that isn't it -- he's the guy going into the fix the damage after the fact -- preventing the damage really isn't in his wheelhouse, and, in our cases, he doesn't have to think really hard about how the damage got there in the first place. He just has to be sure that nothing he does will make it worse.

Elephant -- my ankle is improving. The upped mtx seems to be working, and PT is continuing to break down scar tissue. It's truly my only wegs symptom at this point, and as Lebovics ran through the 'classic' symptoms with me this morning -- I really felt damned lucky so say I had none.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is wonderful to hear that you ankle is so much better. The ankle will be back to normal soon!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both of my ENT's are very aware of the processes of Wegs and are very compassionate towards me. They always want to be kept up to date of my progress and symptoms.

5. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope so elephant.

Phil - WG sinus problems probably require medical intervention as often (if not more often) than surgical, so it's not surprising that if that's where most of your ENT trouble lies, they will track the systemic progression of your WG rather closely. I've only ever required surgical intervention, not medical, for stenosis.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never had surgery on my sinus or nose except when I was diagnosed and the ENT took a biopsy of my nose and cleaned out my nasal passages. I also had a biopsy again of my nose back in early June which I found out was unneccessary.

8. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Jan

Glad to read you are doing so well - Sincerely hope it's the 'one and done' for you !

Belated thank you for all the information you brought to us a while back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I decided I wanted to try to go for a jog today, since I've been feeling so good recently. The stenosis reared it's ugly head as I remembered. A bit of pain in the surrounding area and a massive amount of weezing

So my question for those in the know. My TS is not getting worse, so I'm not progressing towards that magic 80% where they open you back up (I'm about 45%). It's got no impact accept when I sleep or try anything that gets me breathing hard. Is it reasonable if it's not progressing to get the procedure done so that I can do those things I can't currently, or am I crazy and opening myself up to problems?
    ~ Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psyborg View Post
    So I decided I wanted to try to go for a jog today, since I've been feeling so good recently. The stenosis reared it's ugly head as I remembered. A bit of pain in the surrounding area and a massive amount of weezing

So my question for those in the know. My TS is not getting worse, so I'm not progressing towards that magic 80% where they open you back up (I'm about 45%). It's got no impact accept when I sleep or try anything that gets me breathing hard. Is it reasonable if it's not progressing to get the procedure done so that I can do those things I can't currently, or am I crazy and opening myself up to problems?
    There is always a risk with surgery. It can make things worse due to problems in healing or scar tissue. A good surgeon will discuss those risks with you. Some will even refuse to do an operation unless they feel it is really necessary. What does your surgeon and primary Wegener's physician advise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psyborg View Post

I am of course unqualified to comment on the surgery but I will say bully for you for going for a jog!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast