User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you know when you need dialysis ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How do you know when you need dialysis ?

Hi been to clinic today and still no closer to finding out when dialysis will start. My kidney function was at 6% a fortnight ago and I have had my bloods took today just waiting for results. I was just wondering at what stage others started dialysis and how do you know your body needs it. My ankles have been swollen for last 2 days but the nurse didnt seem overly bothered today I told him I was tired all the time and he said it is prob weather and running round after the kids as well as my kidneys failing. But my kidney function has gradually reduced by 1% everytime I have been to clinic for last 2 months which has been fortnightly. I look ok at mo but feel like I said very tired, and get out of breath very easily. I dont want to go on dialysis as such but with having the kids to see too I just want to be organised and ready for the day I do, but nobody seems to want to commit anything. I have read lots of literature that says from 10% onwards. My fistula is 8 weeks old this week and the nurse said today he thought it was mature but I have to go back tomorrow for a scan of it, so hopefully this will get things moving but now not back at clinic for another 3 weeks. Dr says today if I feel I need dialysis to get it, but once again it was a doctor I have never seen before and I dont think he understood how even though I am scared I know it is a procedure that has to be done and hopefully it will make me feel better than I do at the mo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that the decision to go onto dialysis is taken by considering all your symptoms rather than simply looking at blood test results. In your case, I would have said that if you are retaining water and feeling unwell then the time has come. In my own case it was slightly different and my renal function suddenly changed from a steady fall to almost non functioning. I then started dialysis using the CAPD method so there was no need to wait.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, I didn't know they'd let it get to 6% without doing dialysis. Your poor kidneys!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HELO
    YOU MENTIONED THAT YOU READ A LOT ABOUT RENAL FAILURE HERE I SEND YOU A LINK WITH INFORMATION ABOUT DIALYSIS I HOPE IT WILL HELP
    Continuous Ambulatory Peritoneal Dialysis : CAPD Introduction

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of info on that site.
    The CAPD system is the one that I used to use, but unfortunately it is only suitable for some patiens. I believe that the system brocky is going onto is the regular hemo type - Patients & Carers Web Site : Haemodialysis Introduction

To be honest, neither system is great and a transplant is the real answer for many.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello
    I had been in hem dialysis for about a month and then went to CAPD for six month then my Creatinine was lowered to 2.3 and stop the CAPD from then my creatinine is steady with monthly blood checks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like you had a lucky escape. Your createnine level is about the same as mine, but I've had a transplant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know that I am lucky thanks G-d back in the begining of WG I had creatinine 9.6 and the doc. told me that hemodyalasis do damage to the kidney and CAPD helps to recover the kidney function it seemed that in my case he was right

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doctors have said they dont think my kidney function will improve. I have decided on haemo because I have 2 children aged 12 and 8 and i want to keep my home life and 'treatment/hospital' life seperate plus i have no room at home to store the fluid if i was to do capd, and i havent got a spare room where i could keep just for me and with 2 children, 2 dogs and glyn my house needs a lot of tidying and cleaning. The dialysis coordinator has phoned me today and I have to go and look around the unit next week and they will then give me a start date. There is only 1 available time at the mo and thats 5 till 9 in the evening, not the best time for me because i feel i will never see the kids but will be ok for next couple of months whilst kids on summer holidays cos get to spend all day with them but when they back at school i will get to see them for an hour tops and they will be in bed when i get home. I think I will prob start mon 12th but will find out for definate next week. I know I have got at least the next 6 months on dialysis cos my consultant wont look into a transplant till next jan at earliest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Praying you get a transplant soon. I was blessed to have a brother who donate one of his kidneys and were a perfect antigen/antibody match. Keep up your positive attitude. Wish you well.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast