0 Thread(s)

Lmao!! Too funny. Thanks! XD
    Weggies UNITE!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I like halloween and I like black cats.. Couldn't find the other one I like using so I picked that one. I was always the kid that stood out. ;P
    Weggies UNITE!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I absolutely LOVE your avatar, Carly. I've just started reading the posts after a long time away, and find that I am very fond of you, as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I'm still pursuing the idea of donation to medical science. I've spoken to my family and they are all OK with it and I've been in touch with the local medical school who are sending information and a consent form to me.
    Change of plan: youngest daughter (14 yrs) is not really happy about it after all so I won't be taking it any further.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Jack -
    I know that you began the idea of wondering about donation when the donor potential dropped due to Wegs. If they have not explained it to you or it may be different where you are in the UK there is usually both a burial and family time after donation. The people that I have known that donated their bodies signed an agreement that would allow people in the medical sciences to learn from their "medical/life experiences" for a period of 3 years. At that time the body is then cremated and returned to the family for burial or interment or as I always prefer, throw me to the 4 winds.... There is time for a memorial prior to the body being taken to the training center and then after for the family. I think that at age 14, many things did not make sense and were scary at first, especially losing a parent ( unthinkable really). The idea of you dying is probably the biggest reason for the strong reaction. I agree with Sangye, the cadavers ( people) that I worked with allowed deeper insight into how the body worked, what was really occurring with a body and a disease process that cannot be captured by books and flat photos. We have had so many discussions on this forum about heart disease, liver effects, kidney dysfunction as well as all the other autoimmune and medication changes that our WEG attacked bodies go through - more people that understand what, could potentially help others in the future.
    I think your willingness to help others after you have vacated the body are great. Just understand from a "once" 14 yr old daughter - give her time to digest the potential that you can die and then approach the idea of wanting to help others as the reason for donating if that remains your motivation. Check to see if the hospital will return your cremated remains to the family when completed... It may help as well... You are a truly good and patient soul.... All the best!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nancy,
    Thanks so much for your post, this is indeed an area that I have not fully explored. I am also aware that 14 is still rather young to take such thoughts on board and I may well raise the subject again in a few years time. It is just that she would find my passing even more upsetting at the moment if my body was going to be explored by medical students and I feel that I have to do all I can to lessen the pain.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234