Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fund raising ideas - going to mayo

Hi all:

Sangye suggested I start this thread.

I would like some input on possible fund raisers I could do to help pay for the costs of going to Mayo.

All of your support is greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Might be worth getting the local press to run your story. You never know what might result from publicity and because Wegener's is a rare condition they might be interested.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a good idea Jack.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how about local sport teams when i helped with rugby union team we did a few benefits for cancer etc just a thought

another quite good return is buy a date using calander sell a date donate a small prize for the winning date or nearest date could be done at musical date you were talking about
    evevn a local funrun mini mathron this will help local people know wwho you are and what u are doing DEEx

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks DEE for those good ideas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those are all great ideas. I bet the press would love to do a story on you. It's such a modest amount to raise, people would probably chip in and cover it quickly.

Here are the fundraisers my friends did for me:

1) Mexican Restaurant Fiesta
    They got a local restaurant to donate a portion of their sales one night. My friends advertised it everywhere and filled the restaurant. Several of them donated prizes for a raffle (eg. massage, basket of healthy food, home spa basket, tickets to a local concert). One of them was a belly dancer and got her troupe to come dance. I wasn't able to go, but the pictures showed it was a blast. The restaurant was pretty new, so they were happy for the free advertising. Win-win. It raised about $1,300 for me.

2) Silent Art Auction
    Flagstaff was having an Art Walk (annual event to promote local artists). One of my friends was friends with a local artist. She offered part of her studio to auction art pieces donated by the community. I had a lot of African pieces from Ghana that I donated, too. Great to tap into a community event like that. It raised about $1,000 for me.

3) Yoga Fundraiser
    A friend of mine had just finished training as a yoga instructor and was beginning to teach. She offered to donate 50% of her class fees for an entire week. Unfortunately, she was so new she didn't have any students yet. It was a great idea, though!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel kind of nervous about doing an interview for the local press and nervous about taking money from other people I don't know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes you just have to take a deep breath and dive in. After all, this sort of thing is quite common so if others can do it so can you (but I know what you mean ).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was really hard for me to accept any kind of help for a long time after I got dx'ed. Monetaary help was the hardest! Lucky for me my circumstances have been so awful that I've been forced to accept help for different things. Not being willing to ask for or accept help is a way of saying "I can do it myself." When you examine reality, there's actually nothing you can do yourself. To walk across the room means using your body, which is only maintained by depending on others. You depend on farmers, truckers and stores to provide your food. Even the air you breathe has to come from plants.

Early on, a friend told me this: "Why would you deny others the joy of helping another human being?"

So now I accept help wherever it comes from-- friend or stranger. I don't care. Every friend was once a stranger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Jack and Sangye. That is very helpful and reassuring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast