User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone had any issues with flying and WG?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Anyone had any issues with flying and WG?

Hi everyone. I am a new member. I was diagnosed in October 2008. I am working on getting into remission. Last year I flew on two different occasions and maybe coincidentally had my symptoms get worse shortly after flying. I have talked to several doctors and they have said my WG should not be affected by flying. I have seen nothing online about it either. I am going down to the Vasculitus symposium in Long Beach, CA. in July and am not sure if I should fly or drive. It would be a 4 day drive. Anyone had any issues with flying and then becoming more symptomatic or maybe even a flare up of WG? Thanks for any feedback. I appreciate it.
    Lorne

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HI lorne,
    I was Dx'd in 2007 and have flown at least 6 times and have had no problems.Several times I have worn a mask if some one around me is coughing or seems to have upper respiatory problems.

I hope you enjoy the seminar,it sounds very interesting.The docs I see in Boston,Ma are going to be there,Dr,Peter Merkel and Dr,Paul Monach.

I hope this info has helped,I just joined this site yesterday.
    Aunnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Lorne~
    I have not had any issues in the past with flying. I was also flaring at the time and didn't know it because it was before I was diagnosed so I had a lot of coughing and shortness of breath. Flying didn't make it any worse than what it already was though.
    Good luck to you, that would be very interesting to attend a seminar on vasculitus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Lorne, welcome to the group. I don't think flying could cause a Wegs flare, but pressure changes often cause swelling in various tissues. I wouldn't be surprised if your sinuses were more swollen and that caused pain. My injured knee really swells up with flying and my hands and feet do, too. I'm also wondering if the dry cabin air might have affected them.

What happened to your sinuses (eg. pain, mucous) and how long did it last?

Do you use a neti pot or some form of nasal/sinus irrigation regularly?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently flew from UK to Phoenix, and back, approximately 9 months after diagnosis. I was fairly anxious as it seemed to be a flight that triggered the problem in the first instance (severe ear pain / sinus issues). I am still on a cocktail of medications however I suffered no untoward effects other than slightly more swelling around the ankles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, after I flew my sinuses and ears got worse. But, I was not diagnosed yet (WG). I still have fear of flying because it was so painful. I think if your WG is controlled then it should not flare, but if you have sinus damage....that might trigger some inflammation in the eustachian tubes and sinuses. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also used a nasal gel that my ENT suggested,and he said to use it as often as I want on the plane just to keep the nose lubricated and the ears open.It works much better than a nasal spray and doesn't burn.

Aunnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to all of you for the responses. My symptoms with regard to sinuses, nose and ears have been very limited. Upon first becoming symptomatic I had some nose bleeds only. My symptoms were migrating joint pain, muscle aches and deterioration,lung involvement (bleeding), nerve damage in feet and hands, and swelling in my feet with blood clots in my right leg into my groin. On one occasion after flying my muscle aches and deterioiration got worse. A few weeks later I flew and my lungs became involved (bleeding) and reduced energy levels do to less oxygen. I had finished my cyclo. treatment 2 or 3 months earlier and had started on cellcept for 2 months. The cellcept did not work for me at all since my C-anca only got as good as a weak positive and then I came home and landed in the ICU and almost died last September. As some of you mentioned, I also get more swelling in my leg and foot when I fly. I'm on blood thinners so I think more clotting should be prevented. Let me know if any of you have any more feedback, Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow Lorne, so what a journey. What medicine are you on now to keep your WG controlled? Sorry the Cellcept didn't work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm on prednisone (35/day). I just completed 2 infusions of Rituximab. I am hoping it will work for me. My Rheumatoloigist says I am a tough case, but he also got the reccomendation to use the Ritux from Dr. Specs who apparently is one of the foremost experts on WG. Dr. specs works out of the mayo clinic and speaks at alot of the Vasculitus seminars. Lorne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast