Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: wegeners and your diet

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pberggren1 View Post
    Maybe I should do the dairy first seeing as I have so much mucus production.

Does mayonaise contain dairy? What about whey protein or bread or other bakery items?

Thanks again Sangye for your wealth of knowledge and deep insight. I must say you are brilliant. We would all miss you dearly if you were gone for any length of time.

Oh, by the way --------YEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! MY COMPUTER IS FIXED!!!!!!!!
    There are lots of dairy alternatives - soy milk is good for tea or coffee, rice milk for cereal and smoothies. There are also other milks like hazelnut and almond, you might want to try a few and see what you like.

You can get soy yoghurts, ice cream and cheese too. You will have different brands where you live, but I expect you have Tofutti.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember that soy, almond, hazelnut or oat milk are not the same food type as dairy. They're legumes and grains. They're also highly processed foods, same as meat substitute foods. Not much nutrition left in them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have my doubts about this link between dairy and mucus production (sorry Sangye! ) I have huge problems with mucus so put myself on a dairy free diet for a month - I could detect no difference whatsoever! I reverted to the dairy diet because I'm vegetarian and need all the fat and protein I can get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe there was an Italian study that actually refuted the link between mucus and dairy...I remember the allergist saying so when my daughter was diagnosed with allergies around 8 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to agree with you Jack. I stayed off dairy for about 5 months back in 2004 and noticed no difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    Remember that soy, almond, hazelnut or oat milk are not the same food type as dairy. They're legumes and grains. They're also highly processed foods, same as meat substitute foods. Not much nutrition left in them.
    Yes they are processed foods but not unhealthy ones. I am not an expert on nutrition but knowing lots of vegans who know a lot more than me (and one's who run the Vegan Society) they do not see a problem with these milks- apart from to avoid GM soy, or soy milk made from isolate not the whole bean. Either way they are better than cows milk...and you could avoid them altogether if you wanted to.

Edited to add: I wouldn't think it was a good thing to have several glasses of cows milk or alternatives a day- I only have a tiny amount of whole bean soy milk in tea and coffee, and occasionally rice milk.
    Last edited by MCC; 05-31-2010 at 09:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jack and Phil, in Ayurveda when milk is consumed by older children and adults, they add some spices to keep it from creating mucus. There are a lot of reasons why you might eliminate dairy and still have tons of mucus. If you're eating too many Kapha-aggravating foods, you'll form excess mucus with or without dairy.

Mandy, it's true that many meat alternatives don't have dangerous chemicals like nitrates and nitrites, but processed means unhealthy. Nutrients are lost and disrupted when processing food. The temperatures used denature protein and destroy enzymes. Food companies try to add nutrients back via "fortified" food, but it doesn't work. Nature is much more complicated than we know!

The small amounts of soy or almond milk you're having are perfectly fine. Not enough to cause harm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you Sangye for your insight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I didn't do too great on my diet yesterday.

I am trying to eliminate dairy.

I had grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch and some butter on a bun for supper - I totally forgot both times. And then I forgot again and had a taco later on with some cheese in it. I think I may be losing my mind or something. Some days I am very alert and quick and then other days I feel like I am in a total fog or haze.

And then today I had KFC for supper. 2 pieces of chicken, fries, potato salad, and coleslaw. Oops!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am on the fence about the dairy. But, I hate cheese and milk, and have always struggled with eating milk soup in the morning as a child. I now only have milk in my tea. so lets say about 5tbsp per day if that. Very rarely a slice of havarti on my sandwich. My Mom makes home made spreadable cheese by curdling it and pressing. I have sometimes, maybe once every 2 weeks, on my bread. Rarely an icecream. And i do not have mucous problem - so I don't know maybe it is true.
    Jolanta

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast