Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: wegeners and your diet

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Ian. Will give it a go. Love the pic Sangye!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diet is a very important subject! I have changed my diet from the red meats, and carbs to whole grains, vegies, fruit and I am still working on eating more fish. Here in the midwest we have fresh lake fish, but it tastes "fishy" and not my favorite. I would love to live near a coast to get fresh ocean fish daily. I do still eat some red meat, but only about once a week or so. I eat alot of chicken and have learned to love and crave beans. Some of my favorite sides are mushrooms, lettuce salads with various lettuces like kale, spinach and fresh greens. Almost daily I make myself a fruit smoothie.
    I also belond to weight watchers, but struggle with losing (I blame the pred). I joined years ago and lost weight on program, but now I am in it to maintain the weight I am at so I do not gain and gain. (which we all know the pred can help us do)
    I also lift very light weights. I went to a personal trainer one time and had her set up a routine for me. I do strength training with 5 lb weights maximum and I also use the stability ball. This routine is done 3 days per week and takes 20-30 minutes. So really very do able. I also walk my dogs almost daily, at least 30-40 minutes. I work full time running a business so time is a factor in exercising for me...but I try to make time for it. It becomes part of my day planner.
    I also take some pro biotics and other supplements on the recommendation of my rhuematologist.
    All of this combines and of course the mxt and pred have made me feel almost normal most of the time. I am thankful each day for all the support I have received, not only from friends family and this support group, but from the variety of doctors I have seen.
    Thanks Ian for starting this thread and Rpylican...I love your pic!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like you're doing great, Lisa! It must be wonderful to be able to do so much and feel well, too. I'm happy for you.
    How much pred are you down to?

Doug Guest

Lisa- The positive side of not being able to slow you down (I hope Dennis is reading this!) is that it can manifest itself in disciplined control of weight and exercise. I'm still a chunkolero, not much improved (well, not improved at all!) over when we met last year. I wonder what Louie would think about your doggies?! I thought they were exceptionally nice dogs, well-behaved, sweet, but Louie has his axe to grind. Rowr!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sangye,

I am on 10 mg of pred per day. Not too bad.

Doug,
    My killer dog Brinley can kick your Louies butt! Your turn to come to MN btw...bring Louie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There you have, ladies and gentlemen. Lisa Coffeelover has thrown down the gauntlet.

Doug Guest

Tell Brinley Louie is at least as big as he, still has his claws, and has a nasty attitude. Especially when it comes to Pomeranians! [I don't approve of his attitude, incidentally, and Louie is not a good car cat, unfortunately. I recently tried to acclimate him to a car trip that didn't end up at the pound or the veterinarian's, and he put up this hideous, pitiful howl that started the moment he realized he was "going for a ride". It continued until I carried him into the apartment after the ride was over. He had a look in his eyes that you'll never see outside of the Beasts of Hell or a good horror movie: He was not happy! I'm trying to imagine a 12-13 hour car trip to MN with this monster stressing out in the next seat. ]
    Last edited by Doug; 05-29-2010 at 04:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like a happy road trip, Doug!

Doug Guest

By the end of it, the car interior would approach the appearance of a crime scene.... [...sorry about getting off topic- I'm done.]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have one word for you Doug! Drugs!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast