Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair Loss and Cytoxan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hair Loss and Cytoxan

I know this may sound like a cosmetic thing, but I was wondering if anyone has severe hair loss from the Cytoxan..I am losing 3 sinkfulls of hair per day...I am lucky enough to have had very thick hair, but am now wondering how long it will be before I have lost all of it. I had read that it does cause hair thinning, but now I am wondering if it will all fall out. I know that there are worse things in life, but it is something that I wasn't really prepared for.....(not that I was really every prepared for any of this).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been on Cytoxan daily since December 14th 2009. My hair has thinned quite dramatically. Some of my nursing friends who work with chemo patients have assured me that it will grow back once I know longer have to be on Cytoxan. Check with a cancer support group or local oncologist office, even though Wegener's is not cancer these groups usually have great connections for wigs or creative ways to deal with the hair loss.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been on cytox for year and a half. I also have thick hair and after loosing sinkfulls of hair, which was wavy, I now have curly if slightly thinner hair. Methotrexate, which is what I am on now for the past 8 months, keeps it curly too. So a very welcomed perk.
    Jolanta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi purr6
    i was on cyclophophamide, which i think is the same drug, my hair thinned out pretty bad, my sister-in- law is a hairdresser who worked with some cancer patients. She cut my hair v short, with it messy/spiked at the back. The thinking was you see a bit of all the scalp because of the length and you don't notice the thin patches any where near the same. My hair has grown back the best it has ever been, thicker, more body, and just generally all over better hair. One of the few upsides to the treatment. I know it is pretty confronting, but you get through, I just told people it was my punk stage!
    sharon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was on cytoxan over 30 years ago, lost half of my hair. It does grow back and it is very thick!
    I was fifteen at the time and spent over two months in the hospital. Can't remember how long I was on Cytoxan pills...because I was not compliant. The doctors told me I would lose my hair and that I could wear pretty bows. I was not thrilled!
    Last edited by elephant; 05-03-2010 at 09:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im at the cut short stage to hide patches saves a fortune on hair cuts !! my friends daughter does mine as she did the same for her own mum when she had cancer last year ! DEEx

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My hair got very thin. My sister sent me some money so I used it to buy a wig. I did not wear it all of the time only on certain occasions. My daughter hates the wig, my son asked me to wear it when he had banquets at school.

My hair was straight and thin to begin with. I would wear headbands and/or hats. Some people suggested I shave what was left, I said no. I know it does not look great but I am more comfortable with the little I have than with nothing.( I am sure if I had no hair I would adjust to that too. ) I added that the hairs that are left survived the meds so they get to stay.

The new hair is just about long enough to style so I will go for a haircut soon. It does seem to be thicker, I'll take it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had IV cyclo every 2/3 weeks and I've been fortunate not to lose my hair...I haven't noticed any difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My hair is different. Thinner and frizzier. I had thick and kind of frizzy to begin with. Now thin and redally frizzy. It doesn't grow at all. I had my usual 6 week appt sheduled and canceled it. My hair hasn't grown since much since my last appt. Leg and arm hair is also thinner. That is a bonus! I jsut hope it gets thick again. I am very glad I didn't lose it. Moon face with no hair. NICE

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there any difference in amount of hair loss if you're on infusion or on cytoxan pills?
    I've been on infusion (and still am) every for weeks and my hair loss is minimal.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast