Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Hair Loss and Cytoxan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the responses! I did end up going to my stylist and she said not to buy a wig as she has found them very uncomfortable. She trimmed my hair and said she hopes for the best, but she wears scarves and hats. She said ,if and when I'm ready, she'll shave my head for me for free. Hopefully it won't get to that point, but she was very sweet. I did order a couple of hats today, not sure I will keep them, but I'll try and see how they look. I'm getting pretty sensitive to how thin my hair is becoming, so maybe the hats will be better than the alternative. I'll keep y'all informed.
    Mary
    Mary
    dx'd Janaury 2013
    involvement: lungs, kidney and sinus

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mary, I'm glad you feel a bit more upbeat about this. Honestly, from reading this whole thread, it seems likely that your problem will not get any worse than it is now, and when the hair does grow back, it may be thicker than before! I'm imagining that is the case with me, and liking it, as I've always had thick hair and didn't like that it was already thinning as I aged. In any case, chin up, you'll get through it, and may come out the other end not only feeling better but having a glorious head of hair!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I started this thread back in May wanting to find information about hair loss and Cytoxan. So my Cytoxan dosage has been up to 781 per square bodyweight (Whatever that means), My scalp has become very sensitive to even brush. Does anyone know if that would mean my hair will start thinning out more or will I just have a sensitive scalp? Also, is anyone familiar with doing high-dose Cytoxan re-boot. Can anyone tell me what other symptoms you had while taking the Cytoxan? Has anyone ever taken Rituxan, if yes what side effects did you have?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The side effects of both drugs are fairly well known and listed widely on drug insert or whatever info sheet the pharmacy gives you. The main concern is often reducing your WBC to make you vulnerable to infections. Cytoxan also increases your risk of bladder cancer unless you drink lots of water when taking it. Most people tolerate both fairly well but your body will let you know quickly if you can't and then you need to try another drug or reduce the dosage. All meds have side effects (that is why you take them as some we desire) so some times it is better not to know about them and just watch and see if anything new happens with you and then inquire if the change might be a side effect of the new med?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, I am not new to this hair loss. Currently i've been experiencing drastic hair loss that after taking a bath then comb my hair, you could actually see a lot of hair loss in my brush that I could count on them like 50 or more strands.. I am having these thick hair but I am now worried what if this hair loss is continuous. I've heard that this somehow because of sudden weight loss. i am into diet for 7 months now and i can tell that I am really losing weight. so I think this is the reason why it happened to me but I am still worried.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not read every reply, but the ones I've read seem to match my experience.
    Yes I lost most of my hair. I was silly enough to not have it cut. I was in hospital for over 6 months, so as you can imagine the hair I did have was very long which kind of made the large bald areas look even worse.
    Once my hair started to grow back, it grew back quickly, a thick as before, but darker in colour and curlier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me too, I'm dark haired and I've never had a curly hair on my head in my life until after some of the chemo treatments, but docs took care of it...wife kind of liked it while while it lasted! LOL!
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was on it for 6 months only and thinned out really bad. It took about six months and it did come bac in full, although now it curls when I get hot and at the end of the day, weird things happen after chemo hair loss. Hang in there!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My partner almost lost all his hair!!! Within the first month (mind you they did have him on a double dose for a month!!! grr) He has lost most of the hair on his legs, head and face, but not on his arms. But thats his only side effect from the cyclo, so I guess if thats it, then he is happy!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I began to lose mine too...doc tripled my dose of folic acid, hair stopped falling, started growing...even came in curly for a while! OMG!
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678