Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Hair Loss and Cytoxan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you Pete and Dirty Don for letting me know about your experiences. I am curious though if I am only getting 500mg of Cytoxan only once a month, I would most likely not lose my hair? I have already experienced the nausea and getting sick part which I did not care for. Pete I did drink a lot of water to get the toxins out of my system. I guess I am more curious about my hair situation than anything. I understand that there are other side effects, but I think with such a low dose I may not ever experience them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I forgot I started my Cytoxan on May 2 and will not do my next one until May 30th. My guess is there's enough time between doses where the side effects would not take place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Heidiz,

I was on oral cytoxan (dosages ranged between 100-150 mg/day) for about 16 months. I didn't notice any change in hair loss. At age 66 I guess I'm always losing some hair. I'm now taking 15 mg/week of methotrexate instead of ctx. I also take 1 mg/day of folic acid to combat hair loss (been doing this for about 10 months). My hair has gotten coarser and grayer since disease onset, but I still have most of my hair. :-)
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heidiz3, I'm like Pete, was on oral CTX around 100mg/day for about a year, and now am on MTX. While on CTX, I definitely noticed some hair thinning, but I never felt in danger of losing all or most of my hair. Being in my late 50's at the time, there was already some thinning, and I don't think the difference was noticeable to others. Now that I'm off CTX, the hair is definitely growing back; I can tell by which barrettes I can use to hold it back without it falling out of the barrette. I also take folic acid with my MTX, like Don, so that may be helping. I don't remember hearing of anyone taking it with CTX, but I don't suppose it could hurt to try it and see if it improves the hair loss issue. I think with MTX we are taking it for other reasons than the hair loss, but if it helps with that, great. Folic acid is available OTC in most grocery stores, etc. I don't know how things differ when you are getting a monthly infusion of 500mg. vs a daily dose of 100mg., but I'd guess that the hair loss would be less, unless it is more all at once.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck with yoru treatment. I've been on 100 and 150 mg daily for 17 months now and I noticed hair coming out more in the beginning. It has thinned out nicely and not as curly as it used to be. Yes, as others said, keep hydrated.
    "Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died." - Erma Bombeck

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had 3 monthly infusions now and my hair is definitely coming out every time I brush it. So sad!!! My hair is thin and straight to begin with but I'm in big time denial that it will all be gone after 3 more months. The power of positive thinking, right? It doesn't seem to be universal so maybe you won't have as much loss as me. Good luck with the hair and treatment!
    Mary
    dx'd Janaury 2013
    involvement: lungs, kidney and sinus

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marylz View Post
    I've had 3 monthly infusions now and my hair is definitely coming out every time I brush it. So sad!!! My hair is thin and straight to begin with but I'm in big time denial that it will all be gone after 3 more months. The power of positive thinking, right? It doesn't seem to be universal so maybe you won't have as much loss as me. Good luck with the hair and treatment!
    I haven't heard of anyone on here losing all their hair from taking CTX. I was alarmed at first at the amount coming out, but it never amounted to anything close to total loss or even enough for people to notice. It may have been worse at first, too, as HopeinTN suggested. Good luck with your hair, Mary!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had very straight hair before cytoxan, and ever since it grew back curly!

Looking back i wish i'd shaved my hair, and worn wigs instead x

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's interesting, Gwen! I've heard of that with cancer patients, and with one, it grew back grey, though he wasn't that old. My hair is already pretty curly, and I haven't noticed a difference in either texture or color as it grows back.

A friend of mine has breast cancer and will probably beat it, but is in the midst of chemo and has lost all her hair. She wears wigs at the outdoor market where we both sell. But on warm days, the wigs get hot, and I've seen her just take it off and go bald! Luckily, she sells tie dyed clothing and has bandanas available that she could wear. And she's one of those people who look darn cute in just about anything. We should all be so lucky!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine was more ringlets and now it is just mess (and curls)
    It has thinned out a lot on top, though.

I have an auntie that has cancer and lost all of her hair. When it grew back it was totally white, no colour in it at all.

I think, whatever happens to our hair, there are ways and means of overcoming it.......and, some people look absolutely gorgeous without hair.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast