User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Doctors Receptionists....any tips?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does your doctor have a specific nurse he works with, may try and call and ask to speak to his nurse and go thru him/her to get your message to the doctor?? This is how I do it and he always calls me back or his nurse does with whatever I am asking for. I would tell your doctor your issue with the receptionist next time you go visit (unless it is his wife) and ask him how he would like you handle it but definetly try the nurse route.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had to tune in my last Wegs doctor's nurse/secretary. She was always very snippy to me. Then one day I just snapped at her and said for Pete's sake would you grow up and just relay the frigging message because I have a rare and dangerous disease that I don't feel comfortable with and I need some support. After that she was good to me and would always get things done right away for me. I even had to tune my old doc in a few times as well. I had to tune in some nurses in the hospital here last year too. Just the older ones. The younger ones were good. But I did have one about my age that I had to tune in as well. She came in all grumpy one day and was muttering and I could not understand her. I told her no muttering and no bad attitudes in this room please. I then proceded to get out of bed, it was midnight, and then shoved her out of the room. She always spoke up after that and was always very nice to me.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm seriously a person that just tries to keep people happy. This has really upset me as I don't know what the problem is. This is not the first incident, and I really don't like dealing with it. I'm close to saying forget it to dealing with CC over this. Being "A MAJOR VASCULITIS CENTER" doesn't mean squat if you are getting blocked from even getting basic answers. Heck this is the same person that told me I shouldn't be bothering them about rashes.

The doctor doesn't have her own nurse, just a secretary. I called up and left a message with the main Rheumatology desk, but of course I haven't heard anything back.
    ~ Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, I feel spoiled. My Rheumy doc will call me personally on the months I am not scheduled for an appointment. Ask how I am doing, any issues with med, and if I have any questions. My cardiac doc's nurse will call and follow up with me also. If I call in. the nurse will take my message and I will have a call back from either the doc or the nurse in a couple of hours or less. I thought this was normal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand, Bob. My first (lousy) rheumy had a horrible receptionist that actually hung up on me when I called to say I had repeat blood clots. I tried explaining my situation, etc... but truly there was no working with her. So I gave up trying to communicate my feelings and just started communicating without any emotion. It was awful. I hated that office. The doctor was just as bad in that case, though.

JHU's Vasculitis Center is set up the same as CC's. No nurse, just a receptionist. Dr Seo's receptionist can be very hard to deal with but I've had some long talks with her (in person) and we're okay now. I've spent a lot of time educating her about our lives and why patients might be anxious, etc.... You'd think they would know a lot about Wegs since they deal with Weggies all day. But often they just deal with patients like they're a number, not a human being with needs.

I think if you're happy with Dr Villa Forte it's worth discussing the problem with her. And also consider sitting down with the receptionist and explain where you're at. My therapists have taught me a lot about communicating my needs better than I used to. If you get stuck maybe I can share some of what I've learned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm less angry this morning, but still pretty disappointed. I'm thinking I'll have to switch from any emotive speaking with yer, and focus on relaying my points. I will talk to Dr Villa-Forte when I have a chance. I had considered trying to talk to the lady, but I hadn't had any luck getting to see her.
    ~ Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DEE View Post
    Been there done that . but it was not only the secertary in was the doctor I was with he just would not listen. I booked the next appointment with the senior doctor and told him what was happening . Now i only see him and regards the sec I just looked her straight in the face the next time I saw her when she was been difficult.and said" have you got a problem with me."
    Her face was a picture," No "she said but she never did it again .Something I would not have done before wg .
    Is there any way to by pass her and get connected to the doctor's nurse? I have found them to always be more helpful that the front desk people. I can email the doctor or nurse or call in and leave a message for them to call me and they will call me back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had similar problems with my Rheumy's secretary. Next time i saw him i told him about it and he rang her whilst i was still in the room and i could hear her arguing down the phone with him. She said she didnt remember most of it. But she is a jobs worth or simply too busy. No one is ever too busy to be polite or attentive to patient care.

I also had a funny episode when i rang to cancel an appointment with my chest doc, the receptionist on the other end of the phone said, "so, you're all better then?" in a cherpy tone. Its not her fault but thats a really very insensitive thing to say.
    "I believe that I have seen a negative attitude kill people, but I don't think that a positive one will cure you. However, I know that it Helps". Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally calmed down enough to call back today. And she was just fine today. It could have been a bad day, but it's still not great that that happens.

Anyway, the Doctor called me back tonight and told me I was approved today for RTX. Now I'm just not sure how soon I can get in to get it. I'm a bit concerned as my sinuses are bugging me and feels like a sinus infection...crappy timing if so.
    ~ Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One time...on 100mg of prednisone...I had missed my second appointment-I was medicaly irresponsible back then but with that much pred who would not feel great-I had a secretary tell me "if you miss another appt he will refuse to see you again". I replied " oh really??? he will just let me die will he?"-remember 100mg of prednisone. My tone was terribly rude and she looked as if i had slapped her. Her reply was " well, no..." I fee bad about it now but from that incident we both learned how to interact. I hear people in the office complain about her all the time and I think to myself clearly they are not on enough pred to deal with this lady. I also have never missed an appointment since.

we both learned
    lightning crashes
    leigh

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast