Likes Likes:  0
Page 9 of 104 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: News of Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Under normal circumstances they would have operated on my leg and shoulder to pin the bones in place, but because of my osteoporosis and general poor health they reverted to the old methods of plaster casts (although they used hi-tec plastic ones). This means a much longer healing time of around 3 months before I'll be cast free. My shoulder was also slightly displaced when it fused which means that I have lost a little of the mobility, but nothing too serious. My main problem now is pain, especially first thing in the morning when I have to try to get everything moving again. It is not a good way to start the day!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you still taking Morphine sulfate? Having pain just wears you down. In the Fall the cast will be off, that will be a big relief!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bet your morning pain is awful. I think that should improve with time-- do your docs agree?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The morphine stopped after about 3 weeks in hospital. I no longer needed it for the pain, but I was starting to rely on it to give me a good night's sleep - not good! I now only use paracetamol and not very much of that. Perhaps I should try something stronger and take it more often because the pain is stopping me from making much progress until later in the day when I start to loosen up a bit. The mornings are getting a bit depressing with the feeling that things are getting worse instead of better.

Even though I was doing pretty much everything for myself in hospital, the step from there to living at home has been a huge one and I am now only too aware of how reliant I am on my family. Simple things like carrying a cup of coffee or getting clean clothes from upstairs are impossible and I'm reduced to sitting in a chair or slowly shuffling to the bathroom. It's not great at the moment.

The main area of pain that I am experiencing is from my feet and lower legs. This is something I suffered from before, but it was bearable. Since I have not done further damage to these areas I'm expecting to be able to get back to a similar condition in time. I think my current problems are due to being off my feet for a couple of months. I'm getting a visit from a Physio. on Tuesday, so I'll see what they have to say.
    Last edited by Jack; 05-31-2010 at 01:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yeah-- the transition back home from the hospital is HUGE. I'm always shocked to see how exhausted I get at home within the first hour of being there. It's all the little things, like you said. Meal prep is a big one for me.

I think it's worth asking your doc for something stronger while you make this transition. If it allows you to move more, then you can make faster progress and get off the pain meds sooner. It's not good to be in a situation where you lose hope because of something that can easily be controlled.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad to see you back Jack, and hope you are doing ok.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jack, I agree with Sangye that you need to take something for the pain, which will, in turn, help you to become more mobile. Increased mobility will help your emotional state as well as your physical being.

How about the ribs? Do they just kill you, too? ooooowheeeee ouchy wowa.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's nice to see you back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jack you talk about having to go up a lot for living necessities, is there any way to adapt your home for you to be able to have a bedroom etc on the ground floor? I am sure that even thinking of having to go up those stairs gives you stress.
    Jolanta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have not tackled the stairs yet, but a friend has fitted hand rails for me so it will be ready when I am a bit better. Currently, I am sleeping in the living room on a bed that has to be put up and taken down each time - not ideal and a bit intrusive for the comings and goings of the rest of the family, but at least we do have a bathroom downstairs. The latest plan is to convert the conservatory (sun room?) into a bedroom. I've ordered a guest bed for it and it already has curtains and a heater (and cable TV ) so I think that might work for a week or two.

Page 9 of 104 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast