I've been holding off from starting this thread because I was unsure of how comfortable members would be about discussing the subject. However, it would seem from the initial reaction that it is a topic many would like to contribute to or at least read and consider. It is inevitably going to include religious beliefs so if it is OK by Andrew, I'd like to wave the ban for this thread. It would be nice to think that we could consider another point of view without starting a flame war!

Wegener's is a life threatening condition, we all know that. We have also probably considered the fact that if it has not killed us yet (true for most! ) then it may well shorten our life expectancy and quality of life. These things mean that coming to terms with death is something many of us have done, are working on or just trying to avoid thinking about. One way or another, the subject is more real to us than most even though it is a natural part of the life cycle that everyone must face at some time.

My own experience of death has been through that of family and friends. I've seen my parent die very quickly and painlessly in old age, mother-in-law very slowly and in terrible condition and friends through brain hemorrhage and suicide. A real mixture that helps gain an understanding of how transient life is and the many ways it can end. I feel grateful to still be here after surviving Wegener's, but wonder what is in store for the future. I'm not getting any better and that's for sure!

The moment of dying is not something I fear. I have come to terms with its inevitability and have no idea what it will bring. I have no religious beliefs to tell me the answers, but I'm sure that it will either be a great adventure or nothingness, so that would be OK too. The process of dying is something different and I fear a long drawn out deterioration similar to that my mother-in-law had to endure. I've made this known to everyone close to me so that if a decision has to be made on my behalf, they can let me go in peace and with a clear conscience. Withdrawing treatment, feeding and water is fine by me if there is no future that I would consider worthwhile.

The problem with all the plans is that they exist in a future that I can not control. I expect that in the end, I will have to play with the cards that fate deals me as best I can. One thing for sure, I'll end up dead some day.

And so will you.

(Hope that went OK. I was not too sure what direction it was going in, but now the thread is live it will take on a direction of its own.)