Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JanW's surgery went well!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

COPD seems to be used as a general term covering many different types of lung condition. It is not a wind pipe restriction, but refers more to restrictions of the lung's structure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My aunt had adult-onset asthma in her late 50's. She had severe asthma attacks and actually died from an attack that couldn't be stopped. Apparently the asthma had become an increasingly crippling condition for some time before she died. I don't know the details since I wasn't in contact with her.

In a beautiful, quiet trailerpark, surburban Vancouver, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you Sangye, unfortunatly your story sounds very relevant. Had thorough lung check about maybe a year ago with some minor probs, but my breathing was so haeavy, I could not finish a sentence without stopping in the middle. Took Advair till 2 weeks ago, didn' t think it did anything for me. Will start agin and have an ENT app Mon and the lung guy April 1st. This time I will know a little bit what I am talking about!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad you're going to see both your ENT and your pulmy. They might need to re-evaluate your lungs.

I'm wondering if I've got some asthma creeping in these days--I've had a strange sound on exhalation for a year and now I also have a little whistle. In my early days with Wegs, more than one pulmy mentioned the possibility of developing asthma. We ruled it out then, but apparently it can happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    I'm glad you're going to see both your ENT and your pulmy. They might need to re-evaluate your lungs.

I'm wondering if I've got some asthma creeping in these days--I've had a strange sound on exhalation for a year and now I also have a little whistle. In my early days with Wegs, more than one pulmy mentioned the possibility of developing asthma. We ruled it out then, but apparently it can happen.
    I am really glad I happen to have those apps scheduled. A doc told my mom never to have fur animals 65 years ago, so I guess WG can bring out the worst in you. May I swear?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PS Have had all kinds of furry critters, with 5 kids, one animal each... Also I, cats and dogs!!! Raining or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya gotta have your beasties!

The only time one of my pets was in jeopardy was when my first doc was diagnosing the Wegs. Alveolar hemorrhage can be caused by a handful of illnesses, one of them due to exposure to birds. If you avoid birds the disease goes away. I had to wait a week for my results and I cried every day hoping I wouldn't have to give my cockatiel away. He's my little pal.

Turned out it was Wegs--a far worse disease. But I was greatly comforted that my birdy boy could stay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can relate to that, we humans are the weirdest kritters of all

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The other rare vasculitis disease that adult onset asthma is connected with is Churg Strauss syndrome (you can read about it on vasculitis foundation site). I was tested for it at the same time as WG because it is also mimic's WG with its breathing issues like sarcadoisis minics WG with saddle nose and SS. I copied this from the VF site: Churg Strauss syndrome, known as allergic granulomatosis and angiitis, is a disorder characterized by allergic rhinitis (inflammation of the nose), asthma, and an increase in certain blood cells known as eosinophils, which infiltrate and inflame different organ systems. The organs most commonly involved are the lungs, peripheral nerves, sinuses, and the skin, although any organ system can be affected including the cardiovascular (heart), gastrointestinal (stomach), kidneys and the central nervous system.

Treatment is very similar to WG, but my doc still wanted to test me to rule it in or out. Of course I didn't have asthma at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you. I think this must be WG. Had a kidney biopsy at the hospital but of course nobody told me anything and I was too new to ask.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast