Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice Needed Please

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Sangye, I know you said that working in the hairdressing business is dangerous which I totally agree with but what is your opinion of coloring your hair. This is the one thing that I look forward to every 3 to 4 months. To sit back and have someone spoil me and cover all that grey is a real treat for me. The only bad thing is looking into the mirror and seeing the extra weight and moon face from the preds. Also, I think I remember reading something about getting a message and how it might not be the right thing because it can boost your immune system. Am I remembering this correctly or not.
    Last edited by Cindy M; 03-03-2010 at 04:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cindy, whatever you put on your skin gets absorbed into your bloodstream. The chemicals involved in coloring your hair do double damage as they're absorbed into your body and you breathe the toxic fumes. I don't know what to tell you as an alternative. Maybe there are natural ones? I sure understand the mirror thing and pred weight.

Massage is dangerous with the drugs we take--especially chemo-- because it can detoxify the body rapidly. Unleashing large amounts of chemo into circulation can be damaging and even deadly. You can get very light massage, just don't get deep tissue massage. If you're currently on ctx, I don't recommend getting massage at all. It's too risky. Licensed massage therapists know all this-- just tell them you've had chemo or similar drugs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good question Cindy. I am getting my hair colored today and was thinking the same thing. Thanks for Sangye for the info, so I need to find a alternative to covering the gray.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, thanks guys for all the replies, i really appreciate it.

I phoned my consultant in addenbrooks (thats about 4hours drive for me) and briefly a registrar phoned me back and explained that she thinks its a flare and that my medication needs sorting out..and maybe my ritux being brought forward! Also i had to phone my local consultant. Im getting a call tomorrow of my local and another call from addenbrooks.

Ive also been to an out of hours GP at the hospital and i have found out i got UTI too! So im lucky at the moment haha.

As for hair dye! Im a regular of colouring my hair and personally never had troubles..but if you are worried you can get natural hair colour from holland and barrats (health stores) that have no ammonia in them. They also do 100% grey coverage. There shades a limited but its worth giving them ago..and you can pay for a cut and blow as a treat.

As for massage! i do have regular treatments at college as it is part of my course, it doesnt really speed up the immune system, but does help the lymphatic system (immune system is part of this system) drain infections and toxin build up. I agree and I would not massage any person on chemo, unless terminal..or with a GP referral. Massage is highly beneficial and so is reflexology. If you guys are really interested in having any i'd see a local therapist and maybe have a GP referral if you are on cytotoxic medication.
    Aromatherpy massage is also great as the oils are natural and help you deal with some aliments like joint ache and if the steriods are keeping you up, instead of taking a sleeping pill try burning lavender or having a few drops on a pillow.

OOhhh great topic of converstation!! haha

But again, thanks for all your advice and il let you all know what the outcome of the whole shabang is.

Hope all is very well with all of you xxxxxx

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sangye, I sometimes get my Dad to massage my feet when I have a bad headache. Is that considered deep tissue massage? Can that release the Cellcept I am taking?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My husband has been rubbing my feet for twenty years. Could not live without it. Please say it ain't so!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL-- foot massage is okay. There are reflexology points there but nothing that would directly release toxins the way a massage (full-body, back or legs/arms) would. Aimee's info is exactly right. Essential oils are great-- just be sure you don't use any that boost immunity. Easy to look them up on the web.

Aimee-- I'm so glad to have you on board. Your training will help a lot of people on here. One comment about the hair coloring: you said you haven't had any problems yet. While no one has proven causation in all Wegs cases, there is evidence that it can be caused by certain chemicals (eg solvents). You are young and you need to keep your liver as free of toxins as possible, especially considering all the Wegs drugs we take.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the info. It's too bad that a good rub down could be the wrong thing. I am going to look into the Natural hair dyes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh I know... I used to get massages frequently. I never liked light massage-- always said a good massage is when they pick up your muscle and scrape under it. I absolutely crave a deep massage. But with all the drugs I've had and have, I'd probably die on the table.

In a beautiful, quiet trailerpark, surburban Vancouver, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, nice to see you all! What is UTI?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast