User Tag List

Likes Likes:  3

Thread: This MAC attack is not about a burger or a common opportunistic infection

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default This MAC attack is not about a burger or a common opportunistic infection

Mycobacterium Avium Complex, aka MAC, is a family of rare bacterial infections weggies may get from the environment, even from their showerhead. After a long process of culturing my sputum, it appears I contracted the Chimaera version of MAC infections. Chimaera got its name by combining attributes from multiple MAC infections, represented by the beast in greek mythology, with the body of a lion, the head of a goat that breathes fire, dragons wings and snake head on the tip of its tail.

If you ever have rapid weight loss, fevers, night sweats, weakness and general malaise, get your sputum tested. It's a very slow growing infection, sometimes taking years to discover. It almost mimics WG. It's usually associated with open heart surgery equipment, but immune compromised people can also contract a MAC infection.

I have no idea what my prognosis is. My infectious disease doctors are being guarded about what they tell me, maybe because the treatments for these infections are so nasty and not a sure thing. Mortality rate can be high but it's also been known to go away on its own. Catching it early is crucial. I appear to be fine for now, but worry about something still lurking inside me.

What Are Mycobacterium Avium Complex Infections? Causes, Treatment, Prevention, and More

https://www.everydayhealth.com/rare-...r%20bronchitis.

2. Likes chrisTIn@, drz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: This MAC attack is not about a burger or a common opportunistic infection

Thanks for this info, Crowneagle!
    I also had my sputum tested during last flare (had nightsweats, fever, overall misery).

They said they couldn't find anything in my sputum then, and luckily medication and rest made me feel better at last.
    Next time I have such a bad infection I 'll ask for a more specific test though...
    Living with WG/GPA since june 2010...

4. Likes drz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Risk of infections with poor immune system

Our compromised immune system put us at risk for various infections that won't bother most people.

I recently developed a fungal infection in in one cheek that doctor could not diagnose or treat correctly until a biopsy was done. Then it began to respond to correct treatment and is clearing up.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: This MAC attack is not about a burger or a common opportunistic infection

Did the biopsy leave a scar on your cheek?
    What treatment did you get for the fungus-infection?

During my last flare I also developed some disturbing skin spots.
    The GP suggested a biobsy, but given the visible place on my skin I descided not to do that.
    The spots I had seemed to fade away a bit, but they are still not quite gone...
    Living with WG/GPA since june 2010...