Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Back surgery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Back surgery

I had major back surgery (a laminectomy) 50 years ago, when I was in my 20’s. I have lived a fully active life since then, riding bikes, bowling, lifting and working. Late this Summer I started to feel the symptoms again. I have been very unsteady walking with spontaneous falls.
    currently I use a Walker full time. An Orthopedic surgeon now wants to do surgery again. Todays technique will me much less invasive, thank God. The surgeon asked about scheduling around Rituxin infusions.
    One of my local rheumatologists has suggested getting the surgery before my next infusion, due in late March.
    Dr Villa Forte responded “I suggest getting the surgery 4 to 6 weeks before the rituximab infusion, if possible. If needed, you could postpone the infusion a little”
    Last edited by John S; 01-25-2024 at 12:45 AM.

2. Likes Pete, Masha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Back surgery

Assuming it’s only one disk, and the orthopedic surgeon understands the travel requirement for your infusion, go for it! Hope you recover quickly!
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

4. Likes Masha, John S liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the surgery was February 21. My legs remain very weak and I still need to use a walker. I’m beginning to believe my leg weakness is more disease related. Are there tests for this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@JohnS. Sorry to hear you’re still using a walker. Did the surgeon give any indication about when you might be able to walk unaided? Were you put into physical therapy to regain lower body strength? If you’re in PT, how is it going? If you’re doing this, perhaps a bit of patience is in order. You’re not fully healed from surgery yet.

I’m not sure there if there’s a definitive test for your condition. A few years ago, I was having quite a bit of pain in my feet due to peripheral neuropathy. Dr VF prescribed an electromyelogram and a nerve conductivity test. Both tests were negative. The EMG was a nonevent. The nerve conductivity test was borderline annoying/painful.

Good luck with your recovery.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

7. Likes drz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for sharing this John. A year ago I was very weak from this disease. I was on 60 mg. prednisone and had my 1st Retux infusion on 4-20-2023. My muscle, as well as joint, strength continued to deteriorate. Although I was trying to taper down on prednisone (Doc wanted me off completely), the weakness continued. I began to use a walker when I had to go to the hospitals for appointments. After a good fall, I became fairly reliant on a cane any time I left the house. I also had to use it to get up stairs in my house. My Dr. attributed this solely to prednisone. I made a great effort to get myself off of it but other symptoms would worsen. After my next 6 month infusion in November, 2023 I began to feel stronger. I began my own rehab regimen and I am happy to say my muscle mass has returned and I feel so much stronger. I have been coming down slowly on prednisone and am down to 10 mgs. Sinus involvement has really flared and , although my legs are much stronger, they are not steady. My gate is really off and my equilibrium is poor. So, I too wonder if this is just the disease. Are you feeling any better now that several weeks have gone by? I wish you the best.
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    the surgery was February 21. My legs remain very weak and I still need to use a walker. I’m beginning to believe my leg weakness is more disease related. Are there tests for this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I switched over to using a cane in late March. Physical therapy three times a week. The therapist tried explaining that I had a lot of nerve damage and that they’ll grow back, very slowly.
    I can take a few steps without the cane, but very shakily.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope you can continue to gain back strength in your legs John. Will be thinking of you.

Kathy