Thread: Female- Yeast Infection Treatment and safety of probiotics

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Female- Yeast Infection Treatment and safety of probiotics

Hello everybody!

I am a newly diagnosed 30yr old female from Greece. Since August 2023, Wegener's was kind enough to visit my sinus, lungs and kidneys and caused me arthritis as well.
    I was diagnosed in September 2023 and I did 6 rounds of cyclophosphamide, 6 rounds of plasmaperesis and I am on medrol and Rituximab (every 6 months from now on).
    All is better now though and I am feeling great!
    My problem is a constant yeast infection that will not go away. They gave me Fungustatin while I was hospitalised but it did not go away.
    My gynecologist prescribed me with vaginal ovules but that did not help either. As a result, I have an ongoing yeast infection for the past 4 months due to the immune suppression. Also, I now have a cold for which I am taking antibiotics and my doctors suggested that I take probiotics as well.
    I read that probiotics with Lactobacillus acidophilus work great for yeast infections so I thought that this could be a great probiotics choice for me in order to address all problems.
    Unfortunately, I came across a research that concluded to Lactobacillus acidophilus being dangerous for severely immunosuppressed patients.
    Any fellow Wegener's lady experiencing the yeast infection torture? If so, how did you treat it?
    Any thoughts or knowledge about probiotics and immunosuppression?
    Hang tight and be positive people!
    Thank you in advance!

2. Likes freakyschizogirl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Female- Yeast Infection Treatment and safety of probiotics

Hi Sissy

I hope you are now free of yeast infections so this post may be fruitless.

I have just had a bout of sinusitis, treated with antibiotics and subsequently have been battling a yeast infection. I have taken one dose of Flucunazole which should have defeated the thrush but it persists, i am using coltrimazole cream externally and this has taken away most but a slight itch. Tonight i am going to try the internal cream with is 20% (external cream is 2%) and hope that kills off the last bit.

I have recently started taking probiotics as i have a hiatus hernia/ acid reflux and did not want to take Lansoprazole long term. The probiotic has helped and i haven't needed to take the Lansporazole since i started BUT i am incredibly interested in the research you've read that lactobacillus acidophilus is bad for immunocompromised people.

Please DM me if you would like to chat privately.
    Last edited by freakyschizogirl; 02-22-2024 at 08:28 AM.
    "I believe that I have seen a negative attitude kill people, but I don't think that a positive one will cure you. However, I know that it Helps". Jack