Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help for echoing in ear?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Help for echoing in ear?

Does anyone have an echoing in the ear? What do you do about it? My husband has it and it is so severe that he doesn't feel comfortable talking because he just hears himself. He has tried different doses of prednisone, and it doesn't work at all. His hearing is also compromised, but they say not enough for a hearing aid to help. If anyone has any suggestions, we would be grateful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Help for echoing in ear?

Kind of an echo here. I have an open Eustachian tube, damage done early by GPA. Mayo tried an experimental approach, didn't work....seems nothing will. I've learned to live with it and recognize it as simply damage done, move on. Best to your husband...it can be unnerving at times.
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Don View Post
    Kind of an echo here. I have an open Eustachian tube, damage done early by GPA. Mayo tried an experimental approach, didn't work....seems nothing will. I've learned to live with it and recognize it as simply damage done, move on. Best to your husband...it can be unnerving at times.
    Thank you very much for your response. Yes it isn't precisely an echo. He had a CT scan and they didn't say anything about an open Eustachian tube, but I will have him ask his ENT because it does sound like what you are saying. His rheumatologist said basically the same thing as you - there is probably nothing to do, although it may get better with time. But yes, unnerving is his experience. Just knowing there is someone else with it, is helpful. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t have echoing, but I have pretty loud ringing that wakes me at times. Let us know if you get a diagnosis.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J@$0N View Post
    I don’t have echoing, but I have pretty loud ringing that wakes me at times. Let us know if you get a diagnosis.
    Thank you J@$ON! I am sorry about the ringing - I will definitely swing back if/when we get a diagnosis...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have this as well. It is just my own voice and sounds from within my own body, that become amplified. Talking on the phone is brutal. I can even hear my eye lids open and close. An ENT diagnosed this for me a few years ago as Patulous Eustachian tube. Patulous Eustachian tube - Wikipedia

He told me to go home and lay on my back on my bed and hang my head off the bed. If it stops, then that confirms the diagnosis. My ENT gave me a print out with the information of a California Dr., who has this condition. He has come up with a proprietary formula, in the form of nose drops. They cost $100 but do the trick. At times I have had to use them 1-2x a week and at times I have not had to use them again for 1-2 months. I was advised by my Dr. to not get the stronger strength. HE has a video on his website which shows you how to get the drops to your eustachian tube. When it gets to the right place it burns, but then I get immediate relief. The website is at www.patulend.com. I researched this some after I had a name for it and did not find much in the way of treatment but for a scary surgery that there was little information about. I hope you can get some relief. It can drive you insane.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh Thank you, CapeKay!! This is EXACTLY what he must have. You described it perfectly. Thank you for the name of it, the references, and for the patulend website. I am definitely going to have my husband try this. You are a hero - thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by CapeKay View Post
    I have this as well. It is just my own voice and sounds from within my own body, that become amplified. Talking on the phone is brutal. I can even hear my eye lids open and close. An ENT diagnosed this for me a few years ago as Patulous Eustachian tube. Patulous Eustachian tube - Wikipedia

He told me to go home and lay on my back on my bed and hang my head off the bed. If it stops, then that confirms the diagnosis. My ENT gave me a print out with the information of a California Dr., who has this condition. He has come up with a proprietary formula, in the form of nose drops. They cost $100 but do the trick. At times I have had to use them 1-2x a week and at times I have not had to use them again for 1-2 months. I was advised by my Dr. to not get the stronger strength. HE has a video on his website which shows you how to get the drops to your eustachian tube. When it gets to the right place it burns, but then I get immediate relief. The website is at www.patulend.com. I researched this some after I had a name for it and did not find much in the way of treatment but for a scary surgery that there was little information about. I hope you can get some relief. It can drive you insane.