User Tag List

Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Newbie here feels like all they can think about is this diagnosi?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Newbie here feels like all they can think about is this diagnosi?

Knowledge is power, I know. But as a newly diagnosed person, I seem unable to think about anything else except my diagnosis. Probably because I've been home sick for 2 months and now on chemo so still at home and the days seem long outside of doctor appointments. Did anyone else feel this way? I'm thinking that I need to find something to focus on, to keep my mind busy. Any suggestions? I am trying some guided meditation and cross word puzzles, but any other ideas would be appreciated. Or maybe this is normal, I'm not sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Newbie here feels like all they can think about is this diagnosi?

Quote Originally Posted by CaraJ View Post
    Knowledge is power, I know. But as a newly diagnosed person, I seem unable to think about anything else except my diagnosis. Probably because I've been home sick for 2 months and now on chemo so still at home and the days seem long outside of doctor appointments. Did anyone else feel this way? I'm thinking that I need to find something to focus on, to keep my mind busy. Any suggestions? I am trying some guided meditation and cross word puzzles, but any other ideas would be appreciated. Or maybe this is normal, I'm not sure.

Hi Cara J,

This disease is a lot to digest. On top of you already being sick and on chemo. What helped me the most was diving in and finding out as much as I could about the disease. Of course that never ends and I realize how little I really do know. I found this forum and there is a lot of hope here. There are so many people who have lived good lives with this disease for many years. I also make a list everyday of things I want to get done. May be as simple as a shower and a load of laundry. I may only get 2 out of 10 things done on my list, but I am sort of focusing on it most of the day, rather than dwelling on what I can't do. I am not doing so well with that right now but I usually don't stay down for too long. People here are super supportive but they don't hang out here for the most part so you may see a delay in response. Hang in there.

Kathy

3. Likes drz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@CapeKay
    If this double posts, sorry. Thanks so much for the advice, I need to set smaller goals instead of vegging in front of the tv all day trying to avoid obsessing. have a great day/night

Quote Originally Posted by CapeKay View Post
    Hi Cara J,

This disease is a lot to digest. On top of you already being sick and on chemo. What helped me the most was diving in and finding out as much as I could about the disease. Of course that never ends and I realize how little I really do know. I found this forum and there is a lot of hope here. There are so many people who have lived good lives with this disease for many years. I also make a list everyday of things I want to get done. May be as simple as a shower and a load of laundry. I may only get 2 out of 10 things done on my list, but I am sort of focusing on it most of the day, rather than dwelling on what I can't do. I am not doing so well with that right now but I usually don't stay down for too long. People here are super supportive but they don't hang out here for the most part so you may see a delay in response. Hang in there.

Kathy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This may sound very insignificant but I would try to do something that would require me to focus on it, like knitting, crocheting or embroidery. These can all be done while you are in a comfortable position listening to music or tv. A tv show is not enough for me, unless it is an exceptionally good show that requires my concentration. I find that reading is great too. You can get books for Kindle through your library on the internet. I joined a large out of state library for a small fee and have access to millions of books without leaving home. The goal is to get your mind away from this disease. Everything on the internet about this disease is not true, and can cause depression.
    If you feel like a walk or exercising that is wonderful but it doesn’t take up enough of your day. Cooking is a good thing. Look for healthy recipes and try new things. By all means stay away from baking.
    I am retired and have no grandchildren. There are ways, in spite of this disease to keep your mind and body busy. The busier you keep your mind the less you think about the pain.

6. Likes Dirty Don, drz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Masha,

Thank you for the ideas. i had forgotten that i had crocheted as a kid. I love reading too. Have a great day.

Quote Originally Posted by Masha View Post
    This may sound very insignificant but I would try to do something that would require me to focus on it, like knitting, crocheting or embroidery. These can all be done while you are in a comfortable position listening to music or tv. A tv show is not enough for me, unless it is an exceptionally good show that requires my concentration. I find that reading is great too. You can get books for Kindle through your library on the internet. I joined a large out of state library for a small fee and have access to millions of books without leaving home. The goal is to get your mind away from this disease. Everything on the internet about this disease is not true, and can cause depression.
    If you feel like a walk or exercising that is wonderful but it doesn’t take up enough of your day. Cooking is a good thing. Look for healthy recipes and try new things. By all means stay away from baking.
    I am retired and have no grandchildren. There are ways, in spite of this disease to keep your mind and body busy. The busier you keep your mind the less you think about the pain.