Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rituximab and the new Covid vaccine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rituximab and the new Covid vaccine

I had my latest Rituxin infusion at the end of September and I’m wondering when I should get a flu shot and the new Covid vaccine. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rituximab and the new Covid vaccine

Talk to your wegs doctor, but I expect that you won’t get these vaccinations until sometime around Christmas. I was told to get my vaccinations at least a month before the infusion.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Talk to your wegs doctor, but I expect that you won’t get these vaccinations until sometime around Christmas. I was told to get my vaccinations at least a month before the infusion.
    That’s what I was thinking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    I had my latest Rituxin infusion at the end of September and I’m wondering when I should get a flu shot and the new Covid vaccine. Any suggestions?
    If your immune system is very suppressed you might not have any reaction to the vaccination except a prick in the arm. So then you derive no benefit from the vaccination. The risk is though on the other hand your immune system could over react and cause a major or minor flare of your GPA or any other autoimmune disorder that was contained with fair remission.

i was told by my physicians years ago that as I age and my immune system declines further the chances of benefit from flu shot decrease. But until I have a bad reaction it was worth doing since there was some chance it might benefit me. But once I had a bad reaction to the flu shot and there was a risk of down side I should stop getting them.

I had a major flare after my second Covid vaccination that did a lot of lung damage and ended my daily walks outside since I can barely walk a shot distance now and am always shot of breath. At age 80 with bad immune system I doubt the flu shot will do me much good and my physician did not recommend it for me.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!