Likes Likes:  5

Thread: RSV vaccine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default RSV vaccine

I got the RSV vaccine and high-dose fluzone vaccine last week. For the first time, I had a reaction to a flu vaccine — injection site discomfort. It was mild, and was gone the next day.

I had a more pronounced reaction to the RSV shot. I had similar injection site discomfort. About 15 hours after the shot, at about 3am, I was urinating and fainted. I went down like a ton of bricks and came to a few seconds later. I was unhurt, but confused for a minute or two. I found out later that fainting is a possible side effect of the RSV vaccine.

I messaged my GPA doc at Ohio State (as I’m currently between PCPs) and she suggested I get examined at one of OSU’s urgent care facilities. The CT scan of my head showed nothing (my friends and family’s joking aside), but the EKG was a little different from my last one of five years ago. So, I see my cardiologist tomorrow to get his two cents worth about it.

I feel fine and am doing normal activities. I got the new Covid shot on Monday and had a pleasantly minimal reaction to it.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

2. Likes Dirty Don, Masha, chrisTIn@ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: RSV vaccine

I had an infusion of Rituxin last Thursday. I think I’ll have to wait till December to get a flu shot or the new Covid vaccine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@John S

I wanted to get my Covid shot no later than this week so I can get RTX sometime in November.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pete, Thank you for tipping us off. We got the RSV vaccine yesterday. My husband is still weak kneed. I experienced some nausea. Glad we had the vaccine., getting RSV would be very bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick update…

I saw my cardiologist last week. He minimized the concern about the change in the EKG. However, he did order an echo cardiogram which was inconclusive and a lipid panel which was not good. He persuaded me to start statin therapy (crestor 20 mg/day). When I had a heart cath about five years ago, it showed a 30 percent blockage in one artery. I guess I’ll be better off in the long run.

Lacking evidence to the contrary, I’m attributing the fainting to a side effect of the RSV vaccine.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

7. Likes Masha, Dirty Don liked this post