User Tag List

Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Melatonin supplementation is possibly like feeding Wegener's a candy bar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Melatonin supplementation is possibly like feeding Wegener's a candy bar.

I'm relapsing badly this weekend. A couple of months ago, a doctor prescribed prescription strength melatonin for my sleep disorder. It's been down hill ever since. Seeing my neurologist Tuesday, hoping to get a pred taper, until my RTX infusion at the end of the month.

Melatonin increases pro-inflammatory cytokines IL-12, IL-2 and IL-6

Il-2 promotes B cell proliferation.
    IL-12 plays a role in antigen presentation
    IL-6 serves a number of inflammatory functions.

And yes, I did discuss melatonin with my rheumy before taking it. She didn't think it would be a problem. I stopped melatonin yesterday. It's forever off my list.

2. Likes andrew liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Re: Melatonin supplementation is possibly like feeding Wegener's a candy bar.

Thanks for the info! Hope you're feeling better soon. What dosage was the Melatonin you took?
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Melatonin supplementation is possibly like feeding Wegener's a candy bar.

I was taking 5-7mg's of the cheapo Walmart melatonin, until the VA gave me 5mg of prescription strength melatonin. Normally, our bodies produce much less than that. And you're very welcome. I usually do my homework, before taking anything. I let my guard down. Ugh!

5. Likes andrew liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mayo Clinic flat out recommends not taking melatonin with an autoimmune disease. Since they are the number 1 hospital in the world, I put a lot of stock in their opinion.

"Melatonin can stimulate immune function and interfere with immunosuppressive therapy."
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements-melatonin/art-20363071
    Last edited by crowneagle; 08-11-2023 at 10:02 AM.

7. Likes andrew liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do hope you are feeling better, I was taking melatonin before being prescribed ambien, sorry if I spelled that wrong. Alternate between that and gabapentine for the pain in my hips to help me sleep. Maybe that could be something to talk with your doctor about?

9. Likes andrew liked this post