Blood levels of SOD, an antioxidant enzyme, could mark AAV activity

https://ancavasculitisnews.com/news/...itis-activity/

Genetically, I don't make enough SOD, aka Superoxide Dismutase. IMHO, I don't quite agree with this article. I have brain involvement and still feel lingering effects of past vasculitis and TBI injuries, even though I'm not actively flaring now. I believe many weggies might not produce enough SOD, regardless whether you are flaring or not. From what I know currently, there is no test for SOD, that insurance will pay for. I plan to share this information with my neurologist next week, after getting back my brain MRI results today. I'm stable with no active brain lesions. However, my rs4880 SOD2 polymorphism is the worst variant I can possibly have. Both my parents gave me a G allele. Double GG genotypes have higher oxidative stress.

Another name for SOD2 is MnSOD, which means my body needs Manganese for SOD2 TO function. Many foods contain Manganese. No supplements are needed. I have more advanced ways to increase SOD2, which is beyond the scope of this post. There are additional SOD genes and it gets rather complicated. The article does not distinguish between the various SOD genes. My vasculitis doctor specializes in bio-markers for anca-vasculitis. I hope you find this article interesting.