Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Weggie's Lounge Update

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Weggie's Lounge Update

I disconnected from Facebook but continue on with my WG discoveries.

Over the past few years, I've been debilitated with bouts of pancreatitis and bowel problems. Recently, I discovered the statin drug I was taking might be the cause of my immune battles. My gastroenterologist told me that Rituximab may cause bowel issues. I took it one step further and found out RTX and statin drugs both suppress IL-10, a major anti-inflammatory cytokine. IL-10 suppresses T cell immunity and helps create immune tolerance. Since going off my statin drug, I've had no further problems thus far. Weggies are just built differently than most people.

Secondly, the Broad Institute in Boston, recently did a study, using connectivity maps, to determine substances most effective in Anca Associated Vasculitis. The most effective compound was fisetin, a flavonol, derived from strawberries. "Connectivity Map analysis indicated the most significant compound was fisetin." Happens to be I've been using fisetin for five years. I chose it because it was one of the only substances that acted as a natural systemic immune suppressant, suppressing both th1 and th2 immunity. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8897842/ Always talk to your doctor, before considering supplements.

The Broad Institute has a discovery center in Boston and gives tours for those interested in their work. https://www.broadinstitute.org/broad-discovery-center
    Last edited by crowneagle; 05-07-2023 at 07:42 AM.

2. Likes Alysia, Masha, andrew, mishb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Weggie's Lounge Update

Hi Tom,

I am happy to see you here. I've been missing you.
    Your Fisetin finding is amazing. Now you have it with a "formal seal".

As for rtx hurting the bowels I suspect it has caused me my microscopic colitis. My colon was sick before but not as sick as it has become after years of rtx. And each time after each infusion I had 10 days of CRAZY watery diarrhea. I am no longer on rtx and happy about that. I am on Leflunomide/ Arava 10mg daily plus pred 7 mg daily. For my colitis I am also on Budezon 6mg daily.
    It is what it is.

Keep on updating us with your discoveried.
    In Hebrew we say: יישר כח which means: more strength to you.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

4. Likes Masha, mishb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'll pop in every now and then. Nice to connect again. Hope everything is going well. I'm enjoying my slower pace of life.

6. Likes mishb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's really interesting Tom, thank you for finding and sharing this information.

I do not have RTX because it's my T cells that are wired wrong, not my B cells, however I have thought for a while that Statins cause my IBS condition.

Take care
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS