Likes Likes:  14

Thread: RTX and heart damage

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default RTX and heart damage

Has anyone heard of heart damage being caused RTX treatment. I have heard of one person getting RTX for cancer who had heart damage from it. My rheumatologist ordered a heart evaluation for me because of concern it might cause heart damage or even a heart attack and death if I had certain heart issues.

i read that RTX was only drug out over 300 that caused a significant risk of death in Covid patients. Most of the risk from RTX treatment are the initial infusion reactions which can be serious.

All medicines have side effects and some common drugs like antibiotics can have serious negative reaction although these are usually rather rare. i know 10 years ago my rheumatologist was reluctant to put me on RTX maintenance till other options were tried first.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

2. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: RTX and heart damage

I'm not familiar with RTX treatment, but it's good to know that your rheumatologist does'nt want to take any risks!
    I hope you'll let us know if and when you 'll start the treatment...
    Living with WG/GPA since june 2010...

4. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My rheumatologist ordered the RTX after the cardiac evaluation was done. He did an electrocardiogram which did not suggest any heart disease. I will get the RTX probably next week. I also get IVIG infusions and hope they get along OK.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

6. Likes Pete, chrisTIn@, Dirty Don, Alysia, Bindy, mishb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also get the Rituxan infusions. Yesterday was my first IVIG infusion, nurse came to my home. First IVIG lasted 4 1/2 hours. Tired last night, nurse advised Tylenol or Advil to prevent headaches. Today I feel fine. Orders are for once a month for a year. I see my rheumatologist tomorrow, my concern is that the Rituxan is causing my need for IVIG.
    Sure was nice to have it at home in my own bed.

8. Likes Alysia, chrisTIn@ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am no longer on rtx due to too low levels of Igg and Igm. I am on Leflunomide/ arava and it works great for me.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

10. Likes Pete, Masha, chrisTIn@, mishb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish I saw this thread before I just posted a new thread. I have to begin immune therapy also. My immunologist is recommending subcutaneous rather than IV. It will be every week in my home and will take 1-2 hours. My IgG, IgA and IgG levels were extremely low (before I began RTX but after plasmapheresis) so that is why immune therapy has been recommended for me. Do you actually often get sick or are they giving you the immuno treatment based on IgG etc test results? I supposedly have practically no immunity to anything and yet I almost never get ill in spite of seeing preschool grandchildren every week. If I do catch something I get over it much more quickly than everyone else! I just don't understand. I'm really dreading the immune therapy. Anyway, I think the RTX relationship to low immune system is unknown and they are making educated guesses. My immunologist referred me to a paper that he wrote with a rheumatologist and nephrologist that specialize in GPA. He said they found that the subcutaneous immune therapy is actually beneficial for GPA patients in preventing relapse. I found the paper and that's not how I read it. I asked my nephrologist and she said that part of the study wasn't included in the paper but they believe it from their experience. So...