Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Nasal crusting and nosebleeds

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Nasal crusting and nosebleeds

Nose bleeds are one of my most common residual side effects of GPA even when i am considered in a drug induced remission. Often they happen with nasal crusting that is dislodged by blowing my nose. Another common side effect that is often troublesome for me is post nasal drip which can get heavy enough to irritate the bronchial area and sometimes result in bronchitis.

Lately the post nasal drip has resulted in many coughing spells which is not productive. My daily nasal rinses often produce little mucous or some small old clots and occasionally a nose bleed when trying to blow nose clear.

The ER staff though I might have an infection which is not showing up on the lab work since I had RTX a few weeks ago to suppress my immune system. They prescribed an antibiotic and recommended an antihistamine like Claritin since allergies might be contributing to the post nasal drip.

After four days of new meds my coughing has decreased some and I can often produce some heavier mucous from the post nasal drip which seems like progress. But the nasal crusting and nosebleeds have got worse. Today it took over an half hour to get it stopped and the nosebleeds usually quit in a few minutes before.

I have used Fluticasone nasal spray for congestion in the past but wonder if the allergy meds are increasing the nose bleeds and crusting.

Are there any other good methods to treat crusting besides the usual nasal rinses, saline nasal spray, nasal gel?

I will see my GP tomorrow and my ENT in three weeks for advice but wonder what other forum users have experienced in this area?
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Nasal crusting and nosebleeds

Hi DRZ

I don't have a lot to offer in way of advice. But i know that putting coconut oil in my nose helps to break down crusting.
    I am sorry to hear you're having these pesky symtoms despite treatment, i hope you get some answers from your treating doctors.
    "I believe that I have seen a negative attitude kill people, but I don't think that a positive one will cure you. However, I know that it Helps". Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear you're going through this. I have not tried it yet, but my ENT suggested Ponaris Oil. He said to put a drop or two on a Q-Tip and wipe it on the inside of each nostril. You can get it over the counter at some pharmacies.

4. Likes drz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use a nasal rinse every day. My nasal crusting and headaches usually restart around 2 months before my next RTX infusion.

6. Likes drz, chrisTIn@ liked this post