User Tag List

Likes Likes:  15

Thread: Rituximab Might Be Only Immunosuppressive Raising Mortality Risk in COVID-19

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rituximab Might Be Only Immunosuppressive Raising Mortality Risk in COVID-19

Based on a Johns Hopkins study.

Of note is that among 303 drugs examined in the study, only one, rituximab, a monoclonal antibody preparation that targets antibody-producing B cells, was found to be associated with a substantially increased risk of death compared with medically similar hospitalized COVID-19 patients.

So even as this pandemic becomes endemic we need to do our due diligence.

Rituximab Might Be Only Immunosuppressive Raising Mortality Risk in COVID-19 (uspharmacist.com)

2. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rituximab Might Be Only Immunosuppressive Raising Mortality Risk in COVID-19

I had two 500 mg rtx after my Covid shots a year ago. I had an antibody test in December that did not detect any Covid antibodies. Got a booster right after the test. Had another antibody test last month — no antibodies detected again. Got Evusheld last week, right before the FDA recommended a double dose. I’ll ask my new PCP about more Evusheld at tomorrow’s appointment. Hope it works!
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

4. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rituximab Might Be Only Immunosuppressive Raising Mortality Risk in COVID-19

I also developed zero antibodies from the vaccines and booster and this reinforces what I was telling my doctors who told me to just get the vaccines.

6. Likes Masha, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Waiting for results from third Pfizer shot from 2 weeks ago. Did not respond to the first 2 vaccine shots (Pfizer). Not sure whether to hope for some kind of response to the booster or to hope for no response and go straight to Evusheld. Fortunate that one of my physicians has an ample supply and i s ready to prescribe/administer depending on booster results. Next Rituxan infusion (500mg) scheduled for June. In the meantime, taking measures akin to those who are not vaccinated.

8. Likes Masha, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just saw my rheumy yesterday, he recommended a fourth shot (second booster). Had my third in November, so have to wait a few weeks. No idea what my antibody count is, tbh.
    Life lessons for all of us;

Never eat at a place called Ma’s.
    Never shoot pool with a guy called Pop.
    Never try to eat anything bigger than your head.

10. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Called to schedule my next RTX infusion and was told I'm a candidate for Evusheld.
    Do the research on it but it looks extremely promising for Rituximab patients.

https://www.fda.gov/media/154702/download

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Likes Dirty Don, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got mine as Mayo had 400 doses, and I was chosen randomly! Off to Vegas! A bit of tiredness afterwards, slept well that nite, felt well next day. Not a big thing! Administrating nurse said they've had one reaction in all the doses they've given so far. Good for 6 months, then no one knows after that. Best to ya!
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

14. Likes gunnyl, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting mine in conjunction with my infusion in June

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Likes Dirty Don liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry but I'm gonna lob a little explosive thought.

If we know that the purpose of RTX is B cell ablation (meaning it kills most if not all B-cells in the body - depending on the infusion amount), and we know that immune memory or adaptive immune system process (including that gotten from disease process, and that gotten from vaccines) lives exclusively in B cells, then why would one think that you'll still have antibodies received from a vaccine, or disease process, after getting RTX infusion.

My Wegener's was triggered by the H1N1 vaccine in 2009. I find it comically ironic that I no longer have any adaptive immunity from any vaccine I've gotten in the past, because I've needed RTX to keep me alive, due to an injury from a vaccine (Vasculitis is a known potential side effect for H1N1 that is in their vaccine monograph). Since my vaccine injury, I've been a strong proponent of reading every vaccine monograph, because we're not given real 'informed consent' when there's a mass vaccination blitz going on. You'd be shocked at the information that lives in monographs, that absolutely nobody reads and just trusts that our politicians will feed us the important stuff.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist. Not even close to it. I'm just a Wegener's patients who is a Wegener's patient because of a vaccine injury.
    I've been living this for 12 years. I've been forced to look at the world from this set of glasses. Currently in my province, the highest number of hospitalizations is for the triple vaccinated. By a lot. Needless to say, I'm not vaccinated for Covid based on my vaccine history. I'm paying all sorts of social punishments for this decision, and I've actually had Covid. It was no worse than a flu, lasted about 8 days, and I'm out of it. Immune compromised, and unvaccinated. I'm biking again, I'm skiing again, I'm clearly not dead from it. But I am still not allowed to travel according to my country's government. My mom who has no pre-existing anything, got fully vaccinated, got Covid, and is still struggling with after effects, almost three months later. I wish someone would make it make sense.

And incidentally.... Has anyone noticed that the symptoms of both Covid and Wegener's are almost identical? I spent years not smelling or tasting. My lung function is greatly diminished, I'm living at 89-93% oxygen level saturation. I'm on blood thinners from pulmonary emboli. My kidneys aren't quite up to snuff. Etc., etc., etc. I was really hoping at the start of all of this, that the research might bring some answers to us Weggies, but alas, all their eggs were placed in the vaccine basket. I am sad for Wegener's patients that end up in hospital now, as they're getting taken off their WG meds to be treated for Covid, even months after infection, long after they're no longer positive for the virus. This lack of understanding kills, so if you find yourself in hospital, be vocal advocate about staying on your WG protocols. Insist upon it. You're probably much more of an expert on WG than any doctor, most of who have probably never heard of it, and have all their focus trained on Covid, and assume our symptoms are Covid.

Be safe everyone. It's a strange world out there. We're still in the data gathering phase of understanding this pandemic. And even moreso in how it relates to our flavour of autoimmunity.
    Sending this with all my love, and zero antagonism. I know this is a touchy subject these days, but I feel like critical thinking is taboo in this paradigm, so trying to bring it back.

Peace, love and respect,
    marta

18. Likes mishb, Dirty Don, ljeff liked this post