Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evusheld

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Evusheld

From what I have read “Monoclonal antibodies are laboratory-produced molecules that act as substitute antibodies that can restore, enhance or mimic the immune system's attack on cells.” For those of us on Rituxin which works to shut off our immune response, to some degree, by affecting our B cells - what effect will Evusheld have on our GPA?

2. Likes Alysia, jrslim liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Evusheld

Got my Evusheld shot yesterday. Was randomly selected as Mayo has only 400 shots of it. Should head to Vegas next I guess. Felt fine during the rest time afterwards, but by time I got home I was very tired. Rested most of afternoon, slept well last nite, and feel good this AM. No symptoms today...NEXT!
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

4. Likes Pete, mishb, Masha, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does Evusheld have any risk of causing a flare of GPA like the vaccinations did for me? I don't dare get any boosters since the first two vaccinations seemed to cause a serious flare of my GPA that did a lot of damage to my lungs and body. I would try the Evusheld if it would be safe for me to take.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The explanation I was given for how Evusheld works follows. It prevents the spike proteins in the Covid virus from attaching to other cells, thereby facilitating the elimination of the virus from the body. Evusheld complements the body’s natural immune system. A Covid antibody test performed on a person who has received Evusheld is not likely to show any Covid antibodies as the monoclonal antibodies aren’t detected by this test.

That said, I have had two half doses of Evusheld with no obvious side effects. I suppose there is a small probability that Evusheld could trigger a GPA flare. I’m not aware of anyone who got Evusheld having a subsequent flare. See what your GPA doc says and proceed accordingly. Good luck!
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

7. Likes drz, Masha, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The explanation I was given for how Evusheld works follows. It prevents the spike proteins in the Covid virus from attaching to other cells, thereby facilitating the elimination of the virus from the body. Evusheld complements the body’s natural immune system. A Covid antibody test performed on a person who has received Evusheld is not likely to show any Covid antibodies as the monoclonal antibodies aren’t detected by this test.

That said, I have had two half doses of Evusheld with no obvious side effects. I suppose there is a small probability that Evusheld could trigger a GPA flare. I’m not aware of anyone who got Evusheld having a subsequent flare. See what your GPA doc says and proceed accordingly. Good luck!
    My doctors have said it should be safe. The other question I had was if it would be effective for me if I was taking Avacopan and Azatioprine to control my GPA? But that risk has little downside so I will pursue getting it.

9. Likes Pete, Dirty Don, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much hassle was it to get Evusheld? How long did it take to get approved to get it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    How much hassle was it to get Evusheld? How long did it take to get approved to get it?
    For me, the hassle was minimal. I called my PCP’s office on Thursday, had an online consult with infectious diseases on Friday, and got the shots on Tuesday.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

12. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    My Rheumy offered it just last week at a follow up and I am scheduled to receive it this Friday. This is at MUSC where most of my doctors are. I’ll update once I receive it because I too had a flare up with my first booster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Likes drz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i got the Evusheld injection yesterday at a clinic in next state where i get a lot of my health care. My local clinic did not have the drug available and our state has a more complicated procedure you had to go through to try get it so I avoided the hassle by driving 60 miles. The Evusheld injection is considered experimental so there are extra precautions required in its administration.

16. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got Evusheld yesterday.

It was easy .. I got the prescription during my usual visit last week, then checked website (below), found local provider on the website, called, they had it in stock (which matched the website), they needed to call for insurance approval, got that, and I got the injection same day a few hours later.

Link: https://covid-19-therapeutics-locato...hub.arcgis.com

Other then the usual split second pain for the injection, no reaction at all, no pain later in the day, and all fine today.

It's two shots, they did one in each arm, but it can be in thigh or another muscle area.

My last Rituxan 1000mg was 6 months ago and my latest blood test showed zero COVID antibodies after the booster 8 months ago, thus the recommendation to get Evusheld.

18. Likes Dirty Don, drz liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast