Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pain in chest wall

The other day I had severe pain and spasms in the left chest wall that immobilized me. A couple days later it is down about 50% It was a new symptoms for me and worst pain I can remember. No idea what causes it. It is often called a longer medical term and sounds like an inflammation of cartilage connected to the ribs. I wonder if it is related to GPA.

There is no treatment for it since cause is unknown but to help with pain they bound my chest tightly, gave me some muscle relaxant and recommended putting heat on painful area. This pain usually goes away by it self but the pain can be very severe. .

Costochondritis is an inflammation of the cartilage in the rib cage. The condition usually affects the cartilage where the upper ribs attach to the breastbone, or sternum, an area known as the costosternal joint or costosternal junction.

Chest pain caused by costochondritis can range from mild to severe. Mild cases may only cause your chest to feel tender to touch or some pain when you push on the area of your chest cartilage.

Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

2. Likes J@$0N, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Pain in chest wall

I'm ver sorry to hear that you suffered severe pain, and were immobilized, as you describe it.
    I can not tell if this pain is GPA-related.
    All I can tell you is that I sometimes have chestpain myself.
    It only happens when I make certain movements, for example when I put on leather boots.
    The way I pull with stretched arms, while sitting down, cause quite some pain at the right side of my chest.
    I always think this is caused by radiation-damage, because of my breastcancer treatment.
    At the onset of GPA-symtoms, more then ten years ago, I cannot remember I had this pain.
    But maybe I did not have the leather boots either. Don't know for sure...
    Living with WG/GPA since june 2010...

4. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear drz,

So sorry to hear about your pain
    I think it might be the result of too much coughing ? I think we should hold a pillow tight to the chest when we cough a lot in order to protect from damage. Does it make sense ? How are you feeling so far ?
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

6. Likes chrisTIn@ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The pain decreased to a mild discomfort but can increase from certain movements. I found heat helps decrease it. It is still tender in that area if I touch it. My physician told me it is very common with age but it could be a side effect of my GPA as I am reducing my pred dosage and am down to 12.5 now and hoping t o get to 10.

8. Likes Pete, chrisTIn@, Arleta liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    The pain decreased to a mild discomfort but can increase from certain movements. I found heat helps decrease it. It is still tender in that area if I touch it. My physician told me it is very common with age but it could be a side effect of my GPA as I am reducing my pred dosage and am down to 12.5 now and hoping t o get to 10.
    The chest wall pain is mostly gone now

10. Likes Pete, chrisTIn@, gilders liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pleased to hear the pain has almost gone.
    Hopefully it doesn't return!
    Diagnosed April 1995