User Tag List

Likes Likes:  60
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr. Appt. - Vaccine did not work (no antibodies)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dr. Appt. - Vaccine did not work (no antibodies)

Went to the Doctor last week told if you are on Rituximab good chance the vaccine did not produce the (antibodies). they took multiple blood samples and I got the results yesterday. My doctor is in a study about this - 85% of people on this drug the vaccine did not work. Not sure what the next step is. Wait and see - I guess the mask will never come off.

2. Likes Masha, drz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Dr. Appt. - Vaccine did not work (no antibodies)

There is a lesser chance of producing the amount of antibodies needed. According to Mayo docs, the estimate of effectiveness is about 80-85% compared to a normal situation. I've had both shots, no reactions or symptoms and no Covid...and I just had a round of RTX after the C shots. Be wary, but get all the info needed for you. Best to you.
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

4. Likes Masha, Pete, annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No doctor has been willing to test me for antibodies since they say there is no point. If they aren't present, then what since there is no next step being recommended at this time. Even if they are present they have no idea how long they will last or how much protection they would provide. They just recommend I continue to self-quarantine.

I got my RTX after the vaccination. Doctors believe the Covid-19 vaccine pushed my smoldering GPA into an active flare.
    Last edited by drz; 11-13-2022 at 10:54 AM.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

6. Likes Masha, annekat, me2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    They just recommend I continue to self-quarantine. I got my RTX after the vaccination. Doctors believe the Covid-19 pushed my smoldering GPA into an active flare.
    @drz - from your experience, are you saying that getting a C-19 vac actually triggered a flare? I am contemplating getting C-19 between 2 RTX and wondering if its worth taking or not...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the official guidance (from the American College of Rheumatology) that all of the doctors are going with. Dr. Villa Forte at the Cleveland Clinic as well as my local rheumatologist both provided, verbatim, the same recommendation:

"Assuming that patient's COVID-19 risk is low or is able to be mitigated by preventive health measures (e.g., self-isolation), schedule vaccination so that the vaccine series is initiated approximately 4weeks prior to next scheduled rituximab cycle; after vaccination, delay RTX 2-4 weeks after final vaccine dose, if disease activity allows"

Last Updated 4/28/2021: https://www.rheumatology.org/Portals...es-Summary.pdf

The Rabbit Hole I used to find this was on the Vasculitis Foundation website: https://www.vasculitisfoundation.org...irus-covid-19/

I had Pfizer #2 on Sat, June 5th, I was in terrible shape June 6th (101 degree fever: I haven't had a fever since before being diagnosed). Fever broke late that evening. From what I've been told, this is a good sign the spike proteins in the vaccine did their job. Will my next RTX in early July wipe it out? Probably, but this isn't going anywhere so I'm taking protective measures like losing weight, physically distancing, meditating, and praying.

Good Luck to all.

9. Likes Masha, Dirty Don, Pete, annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shankxonline View Post
    @drz - from your experience, are you saying that getting a C-19 vac actually triggered a flare? I am contemplating getting C-19 between 2 RTX and wondering if its worth taking or not...
    My doctors believe it did. I was smoldering before though so it didn't take much to push me into a flare. I would still do it again even though I am uncertain the vaccination gave me much protection given my suppressed immune system.

Local doctors also noted some people with other autoimmune disorders seemed to have a flare after their vaccination for Covid. But this was probably a small number.
    Last edited by drz; 11-13-2022 at 10:58 AM.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

11. Likes shankxonline, annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've not been on RTX since before my kidney transplant just over 2 years ago, but I am on daily Adoport (Tacrolimus) and Myfortic (Mycophenolate).
    I received my antibody result today and did not produce any response (IgG and IgM).
    Diagnosed April 1995

13. Likes shankxonline, me2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bottom line first. My vaccine did not work. The results of my antibody test just came back- negative. My doctors followed the CC protocol. Waited 6 months from Rituxin for first vaccine, after second vaccine waited 6 weeks for next Rituxin treatment. As much as protocol was followed, no antibodies. Drz, like you my doctors really didn’t want me to have this test. I guess some patients can go a little bananas with the results. I promised my internist that I would not. It would have been nice to think I had some protection, but between these results and my B cells being non existent, I was told to social distance and continue to wear a mask. I have really only been going for car rides, walks, but not going in to restaurants. As per my doctors orders I agree to continue as if I had no vaccine. People in NC and SC are not masked. Since I used to wear one during flu season, I will just continue. The only problem is that so many people are anti masks, I will be sensitive if someone thinks I am still wearing it only because of covid. But I found a solution, a mask that says AUTOIMMUNE. I will still need to wear a regular one under it. My husband who is 78 also will continue masking, he has a button that says I LOVE SOMEONE WHO IS AUTOIMMUNE. Our neighbors are having a big party with many people who may or may not be vaccinated, doctor said NO! She said she and her husband, a surgeon are passing on a party for the same reason. I know most people are safe, but there is a very small part of the population who is not, and I am part of that small group. I wish that politics and medicine had not got intermingled. For me the best path I can follow is to ignore what I hear on TV and follow doctors orders. Hope and prayers this evil virus will soon be a bad memory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok -next steps. No Rituxan for 2 months (which puts me 8 months out from the last two). Try again with vaccine in August, only pfizer or moderna. I just pray I don't have a flare!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Masha View Post
    Bottom line first. My vaccine did not work. The results of my antibody test just came back- negative. My doctors followed the CC protocol. Waited 6 months from Rituxin for first vaccine, after second vaccine waited 6 weeks for next Rituxin treatment. As much as protocol was followed, no antibodies. Drz, like you my doctors really didn’t want me to have this test. I guess some patients can go a little bananas with the results. I promised my internist that I would not. It would have been nice to think I had some protection, but between these results and my B cells being non existent, I was told to social distance and continue to wear a mask. I have really only been going for car rides, walks, but not going in to restaurants. As per my doctors orders I agree to continue as if I had no vaccine. People in NC and SC are not masked. Since I used to wear one during flu season, I will just continue. The only problem is that so many people are anti masks, I will be sensitive if someone thinks I am still wearing it only because of covid. But I found a solution, a mask that says AUTOIMMUNE. I will still need to wear a regular one under it. My husband who is 78 also will continue masking, he has a button that says I LOVE SOMEONE WHO IS AUTOIMMUNE. Our neighbors are having a big party with many people who may or may not be vaccinated, doctor said NO! She said she and her husband, a surgeon are passing on a party for the same reason. I know most people are safe, but there is a very small part of the population who is not, and I am part of that small group. I wish that politics and medicine had not got intermingled. For me the best path I can follow is to ignore what I hear on TV and follow doctors orders. Hope and prayers this evil virus will soon be a bad memory.
    I am sorry the vaccine did not work. I was supposed to receive Rituxin last October but had cancelled the infusion because my daughter got placed in quarantine. I ended up getting COVId in November. My rheumatologist wanted me to delay the rituxin until I got vaccinated. It had been 10 months since I had an infusion. I finally had it in March. My rheumatologist refuses to test me for antibodies. I am hoping because it was almost a year it would have worked.
    Natty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Likes Masha liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast