Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gave Up on Facebook Groups

Hello All,
    My name is Larry. I am 69 years old and live in Florida. I was DX in June of 2017. Nearly died. Spent 4 months (March-June) in pain going to several doctors with no DX. On the last day of June, I was told my kidneys were in complete failure and I should go to the ER. Spent 3 weeks in the hospital and the next several years recovering. I am currently in remission. I was a member of several Facebook groups for WG and CKD but got tired and fed up with FB so I terminated my account. Hope to share some experiences and thoughts with you all.

2. Likes bobjannj, Alysia, Dirty Don, me2, mishb, Masha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Re: Gave Up on Facebook Groups

Hi Larry!
    Good to have you here. I tend to stay away from FB myself these days although my account is still active. Glad you're in remission though after all that. How's your kidney function looking? I had kidney involvement too. Mine hovers between 40% and 50% most of the time.

Cheers
    Andrew
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

4. Likes me2, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Hi Larry!
    Good to have you here. I tend to stay away from FB myself these days although my account is still active. Glad you're in remission though after all that. How's your kidney function looking? I had kidney involvement too. Mine hovers between 40% and 50% most of the time.

Cheers
    Andrew

A few months ago I tried setting up a Facebook account to access some help on a diabetic forum but was expelled by Facebook after a few minutes for reasons I never understood. I used the same info I used here to gain access this forum with different log in but Facebook said I didn't meet their standards or some such reason. I had never used it before so didn't really mind not having access to it but thought it was ridiculous to ban me. A grandson in computer science told me maybe they doubted I could be a real person since I didn't have any Facebook presence or history. It just reinforced my animosity toward Facebook.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

6. Likes bobjannj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    A few months ago I tried setting up a Facebook account to access some help on a diabetic forum but was expelled by Facebook after a few minutes for reasons I never understood. I used the same info I used here to gain access this forum with different log in but Facebook said I didn't meet their standards or some such reason. I had never used it before so didn't really mind not having access to it but thought it was ridiculous to ban me. A grandson in computer science told me maybe they doubted I could be a real person since I didn't have any Facebook presence or history. It just reinforced my animosity toward Facebook.
    Yeah no one knows how they assess things but it seems odd that they stopped you immediately. You're not missing much though
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Yeah no one knows how they assess things but it seems odd that they stopped you immediately. You're not missing much though
    I appealed their ban but they confirmed it and said it could not be appealed but no reasons or explanation was ever given and said their decision was final. What I think is ironic thousands of fake accounts are set up and used every day for political purposes by countries pursuing their political cyber warfare.

9. Likes andrew, Masha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I checked in to the hospital in 2017, my creatinine was 8 and my GFR was 6. I did dialysis for a year and when I came off, my creatinine was around 3.5. It started getting a little better over time and it has been anywhere from 2.14 to 2.8 over the past 2 years. So my GFR has fluctuated between 23% to 30%. I'm ok with that and just hope it stays there for a long time.

11. Likes drz, gilders liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GPA4Me View Post
    When I checked in to the hospital in 2017, my creatinine was 8 and my GFR was 6. I did dialysis for a year and when I came off, my creatinine was around 3.5. It started getting a little better over time and it has been anywhere from 2.14 to 2.8 over the past 2 years. So my GFR has fluctuated between 23% to 30%. I'm ok with that and just hope it stays there for a long time.
    Hi Larry. Welcome to the forum.
    Glad your kidneys healed somewhat after a year of dialysis.
    I hope your function stays above 20%. I found that once my function dropped to 18% it was a steady and permanent decline.
    Diagnosed April 1995

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't explain it but a recent lab report has my creatinine at 1.96 now which gives me a GFR of 34%. Of course I'm very happy about that but need to accept that it may go down again one day. Until then, I'm going to embrace it and pray that it continues to get better. Do you have a DX of what is causing your decline? Is it from the Wegener's?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't explain it but a recent lab report has my creatinine at 1.96 now which gives me a GFR of 34%. Of course I'm very happy about that but need to accept that it may go down again one day. Until then, I'm going to embrace it and pray that it continues to get better. Do you have a DX of what is causing your decline? Is it from the Wegener's?
    My kidney damage was initially caused by decades of diabetes but Wegener's granulomatosis nearly finished them off. I had been told by my nephrologists that it is normal to lose about 5% kidney function each year as you reach a certain age. I have been fortunate for several years not to be experiencing such an annual decline but with aging and ongoing diabetes further loss of kidney function is most likely.

One of our more active user years ago was Jack who often warned about the risk of losing your kidney function very quickly with little or no warning. That had happened to him. So it is important to monitor our kidney function on an ongoing basis.

15. Likes Masha, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kidney function can jump around quite a bit, be it a different lab, what you've eaten and most importantly how well hydrated you are.
    Your best route to keeping kidneys healthy is to be well hydrated at all times, keep your blood pressure at a good level and if there is a disease/illness (e.g. vasculitis/Wegener's) that is "attacking" your kidney, get that disease in remission and keep it in remission.

My kidney function decline was caused by Wegener's. I have had a long journey with Wegener's and in brief (sticking to kidney issue) I lost all function 24 years ago, but regained a good amount after treatment for Wegener's and about a month or two of dialysis. During those 24 years my kidney function was quite stable until I had various relapses which would knock a good percentage of my function off permanently. My function hit 18% around 5-6 years ago and at that point my function went on a steady downward trend even without any flares of Wegener's. I had my kidney transplant 2 years ago and as far as my kidney is, it;s going very well with a function that fluctuates between 42% and 49%.

If you want any more detailed answers regarding kidney issues I'm here to help.
    Diagnosed April 1995

17. Likes Alysia, Masha, drz liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast