Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ongoing Sinus Issues

Greetings--

Hope everybody here is doing well. I first posted here back in December of 2019 after testing positive for C-ANCA/PR-3. At the time, my symptoms weren't screaming GPA and I didn't end up with a diagnosis (I do have Autoimmune Hepatitis and some inflammatory arthritis for which I take Imuran and Plaquenil).

Last summer, I started experiencing occasional intermittent pain in both ears and my sinuses, congestion, post nasal drip, voice hoarseness (over the past few months). I've also been experiencing tinnitus on and off for about a year. I took OTC sinus meds a few months back, which did little. I started taking another round today.

Around the same time last summer, I started experiencing inflammation/pain in both knees (prior to this, arthritis pain was mostly hands and feet, though, at this time was mostly under control). I also had a minor flair of what appeared to be leukocytoclastic vasculitis on my lower limbs, which came and went in a couple weeks.

Theoretically, if I do have Wegener's, I'm already kind of treating it with the Imuran and Plaquenil which will make a diagnosis very difficult. The thing that's weird to me is that these sinus issues been "smoldering" for so long, as if the cause is mostly under control but not completely.

Based on all of the experience here, does this sound at all like it might be GPA related? Do any of you have "smoldering" sinus issues like this even with treatment? Has my other AI issues and ANCA positivity turned me into a hypochondriac?

Thanks for taking the time! Appreciate any guidence!
    Last edited by robertlevigarrett; 03-17-2021 at 11:51 PM.

2. Likes drz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Ongoing Sinus Issues

Boy , Wegener's is tough to figure out even when it's the only thing going on. I can appreciate your complications making it even harder.
    Were you ever able to be seen in Cleveland? Did you get a sinus biopsy to help narrow things down? Biopsy is a gold standard for Wegener's diagnosis.

4. Likes drz, shankxonline liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I had an appointment with Dr. Villa Forte (who's awesome!), but I wasn't having any sinus issues at the time and nothing else was clinically indicating of Wegener's, so the road kind of ended there "at least, for now". She's the one who told me that my other AI issues and current medication will make it extra difficult to diagnose. My regular rheum says the same thing.

6. Likes Pete liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Robert,

I hope you live reasonably close to Cleveland so that you can see Dr Alex on short notice if the nasal symptoms become more active. I call rheumys the doctors of mystery diseases. I think she’ll get to the bottom of things eventually.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

8. Likes me2, robertlevigarrett, drz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, you are in very, very good hands with Dr Villa Forte and at the top facility. I actually talked with her once at the airport after a Wegener's symposium she spoke at. I kinda felt guilty talking more 'shop' with her under those circumstances but she was nothing but kind and generous with her time. Probably not a big deal at the time for her but it certainly was for me.
    I would feel confident under your circumstances that you are on the best path possible. Many times we have to call that 'good' with this illness. ]

To answer one of your questions better about 'smoldering sinus issues even with treatment'. That is very common with Wegener's . I myself was told to expect this 40 years ago when my adventure began- and it has been proven to be true. Another thing that can complicate figuring out what the problem is is that , for me, because of structural damage I'm now prone to sinus infections. Hey, even normal people get sinus infections. Then challange is to figure out is the WG or is it infection. In my case it has often been both.

One way I deal with it its to first treat it like infection and step up my sinus maintenance with frequent and timely washing. Sometimes I do it four times a day- using a wide variety of potions for the rinse. One thing I lastly rinse with is Levofloxin antibiotic to help kill the bugs. I think it really helps. The primary thing that helps though is to keep them meticulously clean of gunk. Gunk is the breeding ground. Another potion that I think helps tremendously and is supposed to be mildly antibiotic is Alkalol sinus rinse. It is labeled a 'mucous solvent' and I believe it actually is. It really helps. Amazon has a better price on it then anywhere else I found. I mention that because I use it a lot and have to think about price more than the average person might.
    You didn't mention if you got a nasal biopsy or not. Is it because you weren't having sinus issues at the time and WG will only show up on biopsy with active involvement? I'd be curious to know.

10. Likes Dirty Don liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ANCA test was ordered by my neuro as part of a huge round of labs to rule out a bunch of stuff. When it came back positive, he told me I needed to follow up with my rheum to figure it out. I have a rheum at the University of Cincinnati, who's great, but I jumped at the chance to see Dr. Villa Forte. If GPA was or was not on the table, I wanted to hear it from her. I wasn't having (nor did I have a history of) sinus issues at the time, so I guess she didn't think biopsy was necessary. She told me, based on my presentation, that GPA wasn't a concern at that time. I don't know for sure, but I would think that the sinuses would need to be actively involved to show up on a biopsy.

Thanks for the treatment suggestions! I will look into these!
    Last edited by robertlevigarrett; 03-18-2021 at 09:42 AM.

12. Likes me2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even with the very best doc another opinion can be helpful sometimes. I think you are on track to eventually get this figured out and get the right treatment to put you back in good shape. You are really doing YOUR part to be diligent, pay attention and taking action. I talked a bit long about the sinus stuff because at times I've realized that I wasn't doing as much as I COULD to take care of them myself and I eventually realized how important it was for ME to get some good potions for them and be very meticulous about keeping them clean. It really helps me given the sad shape they are in. Often it's the difference between feeling not good at all and being pretty much ok. I like pretty much ok a lot so I'm willing to work a bit harder for it.
    Last edited by me2; 03-18-2021 at 04:12 PM.

14. Likes robertlevigarrett liked this post