Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default UTI and antibiotics after RTX infusion

Had my RTX infusion on last Wednesday. Went well. I got my lab draw before the infusion and got my results on Friday. All good except for a +2 on leukocytes (in urine). That smells like a UTI: I get UTIs as a man because of a urethral stricture I have due to being catheterized for several months as a baby.

Anyhow, I need to get a urine culture tomorrow (to check for infection) and I'm wondering if I do have a UTI, and I need to go on antibiotics, will the antibiotics adversely react with the RTX (possibly preventing the RTX from doing its job). I don't know if my local rheumatologist will have a definitive answer on this one (she's on holiday anyhow so it will be the on call doctor).

Any feedback welcome. I've had UTIs that have landed me in the hospital and I don't want to go anywhere near a hospital right now.
    Last edited by richard052018; 12-22-2020 at 01:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: UTI and antibiotics after RTX infusion

I've had many antibiotics with dental work. Have never affected either of the drugs in use for me. One could think one might help the other...it's been suggested. Best to you.
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

3. Likes richard052018 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have used lots of antibiotics for sinus infection and lung infection while on RTX.

5. Likes richard052018, Masha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take bactrim 3x weekly while on rtx (and every other immunosuppressant I’ve ever taken).
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

7. Likes richard052018, Masha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm supposed to be taking my Bactrim DS religiously (part of the Dr. Villa Forte care plan, glad to hear she doesn't pull you off of it before/after infusion, she doesn't manage my infusions so I wouldn't know), but it messes with my creatinine, so it freaks me out (I'm one of those weirdos that believes creatinine is my most important lab, even moreso than the inflammation labs). Anyhow, when I'm on Bactrim, my creatinine can creep up to 1.5. When I'm off, it drops down to 1.1. Very weird.

Awaiting my culture results. If positive, I'll be on antibiotics regardless.

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Re: UTI and antibiotics after RTX infusion

Quote Originally Posted by richard052018 View Post
    I'm supposed to be taking my Bactrim DS religiously (part of the Dr. Villa Forte care plan, glad to hear she doesn't pull you off of it before/after infusion, she doesn't manage my infusions so I wouldn't know), but it messes with my creatinine, so it freaks me out (I'm one of those weirdos that believes creatinine is my most important lab, even moreso than the inflammation labs). Anyhow, when I'm on Bactrim, my creatinine can creep up to 1.5. When I'm off, it drops down to 1.1. Very weird.

Awaiting my culture results. If positive, I'll be on antibiotics regardless.

Merry Christmas everyone!!
    My creatinine while on bactrim is consistently in the 1.4-1.6 range. It's stable, and I feel well, so my docs (Villa Forte and the PCP) and I have agreed not to worry about it. My eGFR is consistently in the 45-50 range, but no other issues.

Hope this helps calm your worries.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

10. Likes richard052018, Masha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m on prophylactic Bactrim twice a week for over a year now, with mycophenolate and bi-annual Ritux infusions. My rheumatologist insists on it. I don’t think off-the-shelf antibiotics will hurt you, and tbh, the infection without them is definitely not something you want to mess with.
    Life lessons for all of us;

Never eat at a place called Ma’s.
    Never shoot pool with a guy called Pop.
    Never try to eat anything bigger than your head.

12. Likes Masha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I almost allways have UTI's after rtx and get ciprodex (antibiotics) for 10 days at least, sometimes more, because of being more immmune compromised after rtx.