Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tympanoplasty

Has anyone had a tympanoplasty to repair a ruptured ear drum? I’ve seen GPA as an indication on a few sites, but then many here seem to have recurrent problems requiring ear tubes. If not the procedure, had anyone discussed this with an ENT? Wonder what current recommendations are.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Tympanoplasty

Quote Originally Posted by Susan B View Post
    Has anyone had a tympanoplasty to repair a ruptured ear drum? I’ve seen GPA as an indication on a few sites, but then many here seem to have recurrent problems requiring ear tubes. If not the procedure, had anyone discussed this with an ENT? Wonder what current recommendations are.

Thanks in advance.
    I have had this done a couple times. I had a cholestotoma that had to be removed several times. It had caused a permanent perforation in my ear drum and destroyed my middle ear and caused infection in my mastoid. One surgery removed the infection but I asked to have the repaired ear drum left in even though it was not connected to my inner ear and there is a big cavity behind it that has to be cleaned every few months. The ear drum does keep me from poking a Q tip into my brain since the mastoid bone was removed or really thinned down. It would be a lot easier to clean the cavity without the ear drum in place and it makes the required cleaning rather painful since they have to bend the ear canal to get behind it. I don't know if the ear drum helps any with the hearing on that side or if it hinders my hearing but i wear a a BTE (behind the ear)hearing aid and it does give me some hearing on that side.

Most ear drum ruptures heal themselves, often very quickly. My other ear has had this happen several times but the GPA destroyed the hearing in that ear which was my good ear so I now use a BAHA to get sound to the inner ear on the side that has no middle ear bones left.

The last time I had an infection in my middle ear and the drum ruptured. The ER doctor said it wouldn't but the ENT doctor said it had pretty much healed up the next day when he examined it.

A permanent perforation is dangerous in being a cause for middle ear infections any time water or any fluid gets in. As a child i did not know this until one ENT doctor told me no more swimming.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info drz!

I’ve got one TM perforated for the better part of one year now. At first it was thought it might heal on its own after I came down on Prednisone—plus elective surgical treatment of any kind would be contraindicated while on high doses of corticosteroid.

Perhaps I will follow up with someone to learn more about my options.

4. Likes drz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Susan B View Post
    Thanks for the info drz!

I’ve got one TM perforated for the better part of one year now. At first it was thought it might heal on its own after I came down on Prednisone—plus elective surgical treatment of any kind would be contraindicated while on high doses of corticosteroid.

Perhaps I will follow up with someone to learn more about my options.
    Ten years ago the guideline was I had to be in a drug induced remission for a year before any surgery other than emergency. This was because of the risk of infection and slow healing.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!