Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid vaccins and WG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Covid vaccins and WG

I agree. My Chart (and other variations) is a wonderful tool. As I understand, there is a software basis to it that allows other medical services to get access through their own version - possibly with a different name . My primary care doc recently got bought out by a different parent company and I was very happy to hear that she can still access my medical records from the old institution because of this shared software connection. She does not have total access but has most of it- certainly the most relevant things including test results. This meant that I could keep this same doc who already knows me and that I like working with.

2. Likes Pete, Masha, mishb, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update: I’m almost 48 hours past my second dose of Pfizer. I had some pronounced side effects yesterday — fatigue (I took a two-hour nap yesterday afternoon and went to bed a couple hours early last night), low grade fever and chills, and body aches. It knocked me on my butt. This morning, I feel better, but still don’t have much energy.

On the other hand, my wife, who is taking 50 mg/day of azathioprine for autoimmune hepatitis, had minor soreness at the injection site, and that was all.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

4. Likes Aneinu, mishb, shankxonline, gilders, woz, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got my first Pfizer vaccine 2 days ago. Only side effects are a sore arm and maybe a little fatigue.

My last Rituxin was at the end of September, and my rheumatologist advised me to wait 4 weeks after my 2nd dose (in 3 weeks) before getting my next infusion.

Stay well, everyone!

6. Likes Aneinu, Pete, shankxonline, me2, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We know the vaccines are not 100% effective so how many people become infected after getting both doses. Did any of them get seriously ill so as to require hospital care? Any deaths?

My doctors say I am as protected now a month after my second shot as I will be but they don't know how protected I am. They say my risk should be lower now but they also recommend I keep wearing a mask and avoid crowds and keep a safe distance from everyone.

So how protected are us people with suppressed immune systems after getting both doses? My immune system is suppressed from GPA meds, and weak from diabetes, and elderly age.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

8. Likes Masha, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boy oh boy, you said it. Glad I am vaccinated. Something is better than nothing. I need my Rituxin, will get infusion next week. My question is, will the infusion (since we know Rituxin destroys our B cells) knock out the vaccine. I was always concerned about GPA and COVID-19, now I understand my concern should be about Rituxin and COVID. My doctors have told me it is safest for me to continue to shelter. I didn’t like hearing this, but after it sunk in, it is better to know and understand what I am up against. My sugar and blood pressure are up because of an increase in prednisone, due to some simmering. Doctor said not even to consider decreasing prednisone until after infusion. I have been pretty strong this past year, however I really want to see light at the end of the tunnel.

10. Likes Alysia, drz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Masha - I am in a boat with my Ruxience (Rituximab biosimilar) infusions but couldn't get vaccinated before that. My Rheumy has also asked to keep isolated and keep positive mindset with no Covid vaccine plans for me - at least for now. I think it's the best path for us with depleted B-cells while things around us are still in a very unknown state with a novel bug going around. I take the Covid situation around us (social distancing, masking) as a boon in disguise for what we have been going through..

12. Likes drz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi all,

I got the first Pfizer vaccine last week. I'm 4 months out from my last Rituximab Infusion. My doctor ordered a test to check my B Cell levels and will order an antibody test after my second vaccine to see if it was effective.
    I'll update you when I have the results.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

14. Likes Pete, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shanks,
    Thank you so much for responding. I get my Rituxin infusion this week, two months late. I definitely need it, burning legs, bloody crusty nose. My rheumatologist has my prednisone increased. The B cell thing is worrisome. Before COVID my life was going pretty well with GPA. I was all set to socialize until all of my doctors told me my infusions put me at a very high mortality rate if I contract covid. To be honest I was given the numbers, and found myself sleepless with the numbers repeating themselves in my brain. I lack the stamina to tackle any prior projects. To combat the stress I watch old episodes of The Golden Girls. I am reading The Four Winds, about the dust bowl during the depression. Makes me feel like a wuss complaining that I have to stay hunkered down. But I guess it is better to know our enemy and use caution than stick our head in the sand and be reckless.

16. Likes me2, shankxonline, drz, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyl View Post
    Hi all,

I got the first Pfizer vaccine last week. I'm 4 months out from my last Rituximab Infusion. My doctor ordered a test to check my B Cell levels and will order an antibody test after my second vaccine to see if it was effective.
    I'll update you when I have the results.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk
    @gunnyl - curious what that B-cell level test is. My doc hasn't mentioned it (so far)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

shankxonline - My doctors routinely do a T and B Cell screen of my blood. Rituximab wipes out your B Cells. Rituximab is a chimeric monoclonal antibody used to treat hematologic and autoimmune diseases by depleting CD20-expressing B cells. Patients may develop hypogammaglobulinemia following treatment, with some demonstrating failure of B-cell recovery. The true frequency of hypogammaglobulinemia and/or impaired B-cell reconstitution post rituximab is unknown due to the lack of prospective studies in different patient cohorts. The clinical significance remains controversial; some patients have recurrent infections while others are relatively asymptomatic. The aim of this review is to describe the prevalence of hypogammaglobulinemia and the associated risk for developing severe infection, in patients with differing underlying clinical conditions treated with rituximab. This may facilitate classification and prognostication of patients who develop these conditions and identify patients who may be at high risk of developing these complications, including those who may benefit from immunoglobulin replacement therapy." Consequences of B-cell-depleting therapy: hypogammaglobulinemia and impaired B-cell reconstitution | Immunotherapy (futuremedicine.com))
    There are risks with getting Rituximab infusions, my doctors are aware of the risks as am I and they test me every year or two to keep an eye on the ball.
    B Cells and Antibodies
    B Cells and Antibodies - Molecular Biology of the Cell - NCBI Bookshelf (nih.gov)
    Last edited by gunnyl; 03-22-2021 at 11:00 PM.

19. Likes Pete, me2, Alysia liked this post
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast