Thread: Covid vaccins and WG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Covid vaccins and WG

Thanks Andrew.

I've found this site to be very helpful over the years. A great resource here, and it makes it easier when seeing so many others dealing with the same issues.

2. Likes andrew, me2, Aneinu, annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Susan B View Post
    Meant to include this quote in my last post—Natty, wondering if things are getting better? Hope to hear you are improving.
    Thank you for all your kind thoughts! I still am suffering from shortness of breath. It’s really interesting on calls (I am a paramedic & I have gone back to work). I am unsure how much of it is Covid related or Wegeners. Because I am a front line worker I can get the vaccine within the next month. To be honest with you, I have no clue how long I have to wait till i can get the vaccine after infection. I was initially very reluctant to get the vaccine, however after experiencing Covid-I can tell you it’s terrible! If I get Covid again, I’m not certain I would survive. So, after careful consideration, I thought, so far no one has died from the vaccine. I have reached out to my rheumatologist to see what she thinks. Also, I am late with the rituxin infusion. I was supposed to get it in October, but due to my daughter being placed in quarantine and then actually getting Covid... I’m not sure how long I can last. Anyway, that is my news so far.
    Natty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes Susan B, Masha, Aneinu, Alysia, annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been back and forth with my rheumatologist, ENT, Rituxan infusion doctor, and PCP ... no luck yet with access to an mRNA vaccine, but will keep pushing.

I did find a few GREAT articles.

Especially this one, it's my exact situation: https://journals.lww.com/neurotodayo...px?PostID=1062

"Vaccination of patients receiving immunosuppressive therapy may require consideration of timing and potential modification of treatment, said Dr. Nowak. “The major question is what baseline therapy the patient is on, because this can affect the efficacy of the immunization. For example, if the patient is receiving B cell depletion therapy, such as with rituximab, the effectiveness of the vaccine may be diminished."

"To avoid this problem, Dr. Nowak recommends timing vaccine administration towards the end of the treatment cycle, just before the next dose is due, typically six months after the last one. “That allows the patient to mount an adequate immune response to the vaccine. Then two weeks later, we can start again with immunosuppression. This is not new—we do this with the flu shot every year," he said."

Another: https://www.oatext.com/covid-19–chal...2W_U#gsc.tab=0

6. Likes Aneinu, Peter Marsham, Alysia, Masha, annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dr Peter Merkel from Philadelphia told my son to take the vaccine, but it probably won't help much to prevent the COVID.

Godspeed to all

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

8. Likes Alysia, annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im from UK and the vaccine is being rolled out now. I will be offered either Pfizer or AstraZeneca one in due course. Has anyone had any definitive guidance or recommendation from their doctor whether to take it or not while on rituximab?
    Thanks
    Lisa

10. Likes annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Doctor told me to take it when it becomes available although there is no guarantee it will be effective for me. There ha e been no studies on immunosuppressed people so we are going to be the Guinea pigs.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

12. Likes ljeff, Aneinu, annekat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My doctors will not allow Rituxin infusion until 4 weeks after second vaccine. Roll out in NC is 75 and over, in SC it is 70 and over. In Fl and TN it is 65. In Ohio it starts at 80, then 75, then 70. Anyone know age requirements in other areas?

14. Likes ljeff, Alysia, Aneinu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ljeff View Post
    Im from UK and the vaccine is being rolled out now. I will be offered either Pfizer or AstraZeneca one in due course. Has anyone had any definitive guidance or recommendation from their doctor whether to take it or not while on rituximab?
    Thanks
    Lisa
    Been told to only get an mRNA vaccine (Pfizer or Moderna), at least 6 months after Rituxan.

16. Likes Alysia, Aneinu, Masha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NC dropped the age requirement for vaccines from 75 to 65. So many people were trying to get through to MUSC in SC they, including myself were unaware of this change..SC age requirement is 70. Husband and I stopped watching all news because of politics.
    What is happening to all the people with compromised immune system that don’t meet the age requirements? I know Alycia in Israel got her vaccine and did not have to meet an age requirement. Are those of you, not in US able to get a vaccine without age requirement?

18. Likes Alysia, Aneinu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don’t know about elsewhere, but in Australia we start rolling out mid February. We’re vaccinating essential/health workers first, then over 70s and people with comorbidities, then decreasing risk/age sectors. My rheumy told me last appointment that I was in line for early vaccination due to my Wegs, but it may conflict with next Ritux infusion (currently set for Match). If my numbers are ok, I’ll push the infusion back four weeks after second shot.
    Life lessons for all of us;

Never eat at a place called Ma’s.
    Never shoot pool with a guy called Pop.
    Never try to eat anything bigger than your head.

20. Likes Alysia, Aneinu, Masha liked this post
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast