Likes Likes:  9

Thread: Nose Bleeds

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Nose Bleeds

Have had a few nose bleeds, 2 in the last 2 days. Does anyone else have issues with this? Wonder if it is the dry weather? Have had Wegs for approx. 14 years and haven't had issues with bleeding before. Last checkup showed no active wegs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Nose Bleeds

In early September I had two massive nose bleeds, it streamed out like a faucet. It scared me really bad. The first time I went to Urgent Care and they packed it, had to stay there for over an hour. A few days later it happened again, I used tampons up my nose. I ended up getting it cauterized. They said it was because I had high blood pressure, I'm back on BP meds. So far so good. Good luck to you, I hope it's nothing serious.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

3. Likes drz, chrisTIn@ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith View Post
    Have had a few nose bleeds, 2 in the last 2 days. Does anyone else have issues with this? Wonder if it is the dry weather? Have had Wegs for approx. 14 years and haven't had issues with bleeding before. Last checkup showed no active wegs.
    Nosebleeds are usually the first symptom I have of my GPA residual symptoms flaring or increasing when I try to cut my prednisone dosage down too low. They were also my first indication and first symptom of my GPA that appeared two to three years before I finally got diagnosed. For years I was able to get by on a maintenance dose of 5 mg of prednisone but in the last year I have been unable to get under 7. So far whenever I cut my dose each down from 7 1/2 I end up with some nosebleeds and blood clots in my nasal rinses.

My treating doctors do not regard these increased residual symptoms as a serious flare since they can usually be controlled by increasing my prednisone dosage. I am also on azathioprine for a maintenance immunosuppressant med.

My residual symptoms have also evolved or changed somewhat in the 10 years since I began treatment. My newest symptoms are a jaw pain that sometimes had me confused with having an infected tooth or sinus infection. Another new one for me in the past couple years has been inflammation of my eyelid. These symptoms seem to come and go and move around much like my other typical residual symptoms like joint pain, skin sores, mouth sores, etc. and the usual excess fatigue.

I have learned through experience and with my treatment teams consultation that any pain or problem that comes and goes and moves around is most likely related to my GPA. Any pain that is fixed and persistent and does not move around usually is indicative of another new problem such as a broken bone in my ankle or hernia that needed surgical repair.
    Last edited by drz; 11-08-2020 at 04:32 AM.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

5. Likes John S, Masha, chrisTIn@, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got slow nose bleeds before I was first diagnosed, there is upper respiratory involvement, but if your numbers are good, it may just be dry weather. I’d mention it to my physician, but wouldn’t worry too much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had Wegs for 10 about years now. I didn't have nosebleeds as an initial symtom, but I did have little wounds and crusting in my nose-tissue, next to fatigue and heavy jointpain.
    Nowadays, I have longer periods of medicine-free remission, but nosebleeds do occur, and when they do, it's a sign for me that something is wrong and I have to be on medication again.
    My labs are not showing this.
    I hope you are able to consult your Wegs-doctor soon, if the nosebleeds do not stop.
    Living with WG/GPA since june 2010...

8. Likes drz, Alysia, dalatingod liked this post