Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Infections from mosquito bites

This via email from one of our members. Does anyone have any advice?

My biggest problem is skin infections from mosquito bites and living near Houston. The only thing to take is small doses of prednisone. I have great insurance and the best doctors. I have tried and have access to all medicines. If somebody has heard or knows some miracle pill please let me know.
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

2. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Infections from mosquito bites

Move...oops...
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

4. Likes andrew, mishb, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A couple thoughts...

Many of us weggies take bactrim as prophylaxis for PCP pneumonia. It’s a sulfa drug that should also help clear up systemic infections.

Localized infections usually result from scratching the bite. Application of rubbing alcohol or witch hazel can help clean and soothe. When I was a kid, my Mom (a nurse) would dampen a plain aspirin tablet and rub it on the bite. It helped.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

6. Likes Dirty Don, andrew, Masha, Geoff, drz, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first Wegs indication was a huge body rash, allergic reaction to some fabric or pollen. My dermatologist suggested plain old steroids and threw six tubes of topical Eleuphrat at me (betamethasone dipropionate). May be worth checking out.

8. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mosquito's haven't gone near me for the past 8 or 9 years.

I was putting it down to Methotrexate, but I'm pretty sure that it is the Plaquenil (Hydroxychloroquine) keeping them at bay.

Either that, or I smell
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

10. Likes Alysia, Masha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mishb View Post
    Mosquito's haven't gone near me for the past 8 or 9 years.

I was putting it down to Methotrexate, but I'm pretty sure that it is the Plaquenil (Hydroxychloroquine) keeping them at bay.

Either that, or I smell
    Now that I think about it, I was also not beaten by mosquitos for many years now. Maybe it's the pred
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

12. Likes mishb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The pred would stifle any reaction to a bite. This summer I got stung in 5 places from a yellow jacket. I did not experience any swelling and the pain was much less than normal. Pred would do the same thing for mosquito bites. So you could be bitten but not know it because you don't have a reaction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alysia View Post
    Now that I think about it, I was also not beaten by mosquitos for many years now. Maybe it's the pred
    I haven't been on pred for nearly a year now, and the mosquito's still don't like me
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

15. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many years ago, when I first moved to Florida I was bitten by a red ant. Now I know these are bad, but my reaction was over the top. I ended up in the hospital and was put on steroids (swore I would never take those again, hah). I had a few years in northern CA., away from those miserable bites. When we returned to live in Florida I took my son to an allergist. Had the doctor run some tests on me too. I mentioned the red ant reaction. Well, that is when I learned I was extremely allergic to red ants. Got shots for years. Here in the Carolinas we have them, but I am extremely cautious.
    Bottom line, maybe the person from Houston should see an allergist. Also, if the reaction is that bad, have any doctors suggested an epi pen?

17. Likes Pete, Dirty Don, Alysia, me2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the last few years every time I am bit they look horrible and are huge - I have to wear bug spray whenever I go out. They will actually bite me on my face. Never had this problem before. At the beach ended up at the dr. office and they thought a brown mountain recluse spider had bit me it looked so bad - no just mosquito bites. They actually called me a couple of weeks later to make sure I was OK. Talked to all my doctors, including my oncologist because not only do I have Weg's I have CLL also. They don't offer anything to help. Only place I don't have problems is at Disney World. I wonder if it has to do with our blood and the meds we are on. They never bite anyone else always come after me No perfumes, etc. Have tried eveyrthing.

19. Likes Alysia liked this post